• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Honorary rank...

Most of the honorary belts I've heard of were posthumous, and usually additional degrees of black.

Personally, I would feel weird having an honorary belt in another system...any system for that matter. To me, belts always signified new knowledge and requirements. If I didn't actually know what I was doing, I'd feel really strange.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, issuing an honorary rank to someone is a slap in the face to everyone who legitimately earned that rank. You either earn it or you don't. It is meaningless anyway. If the rank you are given is honorary, it means nothing because you didn't train for it and test for it.

Queen Padme: "So this is how Democracy dies-with thunderous applause."

Annikin Skywalker: "You're either with me or against me!"

Obi-won Kenobi: "That is the Way of the Sith!"

Honorary ranking

Thats another good political tool that is many times misused or misunderstood. From my understanding, the name is self-explanatory; it is given to honor somebody for something s/he did, but do not in any way necessarily reflect the person's skill in the organization. For instance, if somebody makes a significant donation to an organization, s/he could get an honorary belt as a sign of gratitude. The honorary ranking thus given does not reflect the rank of the person but shows the organization's gratitude for the contribution.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence thus, is not an act, but a habit. --- Aristotle

Not always true - an honorary rank may represent your skill in a certain martial art transferring to another one - a lot of martial arts have time limits on how long it must take you [minimum] for BB, so when high grade MAists from other styles transfer over and train - they are sometimes awarded an honorary belt - i.e. a belt with no test.

I would never accept a honorary belt. Unless I couldn't train anymore, and I was still an active member of the organization. Grandmaster Han (the person who brough Youn Wha to the USA) didn't accept his 10th dan because it was honorary.

JUST TRAIN

Student of the Han Method

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's allready tomorrow in Australia" Charles Schultz

https://www.YounWha.com

In TKD the 9th degree black belt is an honourary degree.

It cannot be attained through a day, week, or month of testing, only through a life of it.

"There are no limitations only plateux, and once you reach them you must not stay there."

--Bruce Lee

Actually... thats not entirely true sabumnim.... it would be possible if there are any 9th degrees to award it under grading - there is no rule preventing it being given as non-honorary.

Its just that all the 9th degrees around are honorary.

Well I heard that it could only be given as an honourary degree, I think it was on an ITF website. I will try and find the source for you.

"There are no limitations only plateux, and once you reach them you must not stay there."

--Bruce Lee

I think it may take some time!!!

--Bruce Lee