• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Would you like to see bjj as an olympic sport?

If you want to do the olympics with grappling, then do Judo or wrestling.

I dont want BJJ to become an olympic sport- Judo used to be alot like BJJ, but all the rules were instilled to keep the match on the feet to avoid boring groundfighting (wink wink- people dont like watching groundfighting).

I believe it was Matt Furey who said that he thinks they should do away with the guard to improve mixed martial arts- he claimed its too boring to watch that part of the fight.

To an extent he may be right, but tournaments like UFC shouldnt drift away from whats effective for whats entertaining.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NAGA has good matches, but I feel that Grapplers Quest gets better competitors. Its seems that NAGA is like the hybrid tournament of all different types of grappling styles, whereas Grapplers Quest seems to have many more BJJ guys.

I think like most people have said - there are many forums for JJ practitioners to compete in, therefore would taking it to the Olympics add anything to it?

I think it would ad alot of popularity resulting in numbers and wealth but i do still agree with your point.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

adding numbers isnt always a good thing - think about what happened to TKD and its reputation in the MA community and the average quality of Schools, not to mention a massive number of McDojo's springing up overnight,.

Seems like the more commercialized an art becomes the more diluted it gets. The trend will continue with BJJ at the rate it's growing. Hopefully not but I don't see how it will be any different.

I'm only going to ask you once...

I would have to say no. I don't think it should become an olimpic sport. If bjj became a o-sport,than every ma should have it's place in the olimpics....why you ask, because there is not a ma that is better than one another.If bjj was allowed,than why not all other ma's. who say's that bjj is better than the other.Not to mention that the would screw that whole system up.Before you know it, it probably wouldn't even resemble the true system. Just my opinion. :brow:

Why punch someone when their on the ground when you can just kick them

I would not like olympic BJJ however I would like to see the Mundials and Pan-Ams grow in popularity. Like having them on cable or something

"Without Jiu Jitsu its like without my two legs."

-Rickson Gracie

https://www.myspace.com/cobraguard