• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That depends on everything.

If the Kung Fu guy is better he will win. If the other guy is better, then he will win.

Hand to hand, heart to heart

If you don't come, i will not start

But if you start, i will arive first

And hit you continuiously untill i see red.

any fighting system gives a significant advantage over an untrained individual. Even if you had no formal training, but just grew up in a family that boxes, you would have an advantage. Most systems teach you body mechanics, how to look for openings, and the correct weapons to exploit those openings with. The same goes for the informally trained.

If soembody who is used to punching and taking hits gets into a fight, they have the advantage over somebody who isn't used to it.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

Of course Kung Fu can be effective if studied seriously and for some time. It's certainly not a quick fix martial art, but if you have the patience and the dedication to last more than a couple of years you should be able to defend yourself in the street.

• 2 weeks later...

My JKD teacher always tells us not to depend on a certain art, but to be open to many different styles.

"If any style teaches you a method of fighting, then you might be able to fight according to the limit of that method, and realy that is not fighting as is" -Bruce Lee

"Without Jiu Jitsu its like without my two legs."

-Rickson Gracie

https://www.myspace.com/cobraguard

I Study Wing Chun, Hung Gar Kung Fu, and Ninjitsu, and let me tell you Ninjitsu is way more effective then any kung fu in my opinion. But thats just my opinion.

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

exactly - it also depends on how you train.... a lot of fighting ability is down to methods rather than art.... Art does play a part, just methods seem to be more important [imho]

Of course Kung Fu can be effective if studied seriously and for some time. It's certainly not a quick fix martial art, but if you have the patience and the dedication to last more than a couple of years you should be able to defend yourself in the street.

I would only add to this, as it pretty much sums it up!

Most traditional kung fu systems contain at least five times as many techniques as their Japanese, Korean and American counterparts. If you have 70 techniques to learn and perfect, it takes time. If, on the other hand, you have 350 techniques to learn, it can take a lifetime. Kung fu can be effective on the street, even at intermediate levels, but it lacks ground-fighting components.

A kung fu practitioner's first prioity in a street encounter, should be to de-escalate the situation, before it becomes physical. In the time it takes to do this, he can also be planning his defense. If his communication skills are on-line, he will probably not have to test his physical abilities.

'The Art of War' teaches us to "Rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's coming, but on our own readiness to receive him" Sun Tsu

Respectfully,'

William L. Duncan