• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

from wing chun to jkd

Hi guys,

I am seriously thinking of quitting my wing chun training and starting jkd. The only proper school in my city, has only got classical jkd though. I mean in classical jkd the system only had a few years to evolve right?

I am thinking of changing to jkd because I like the foot work much more and the boxing stance. what do you guys think i should do?

a. stay with wing chun

b. go to jkd

thank you

Be everything. Be nothing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

go over to jkd.... you can still use some of your wing chun stuff, so it 'll be easier to change.

much easier choice than say, switching over to boxing from TKD.

Stay with Wing Chun, atleast for some years. You will see that a LOT of what they learn in jkd ARE wing chun. If you are of the MTV generation and want to be a "fighter" right a way, go for JKD. Or try both. It's your choise. You are just as "free" to use what ever you like in wing chun as you are in JKD after a while, but in both system you still need basics, the tools, to fight and if your wing chun school is allright I'll stick to that. Forget the footwork ala boxing, thats a sport fighting style and it consist of hopping up and down, a blind side, a strong/weak side and a strong/weak arm, none of it is good if self defence is what your after. In wing chun you will learn too use both your arms and both feets as strong, no matter if you are "right paw" og "south paw". So I say stick with Wing Chun.

If the first lesson was a failure, then you know that skydiving isn't for you!

I am thinking of doing kind of the same thing. Dropping my TSD for JKD.

I think JKD is more real world and would be better to cross train with my Krav Maga/Haganah training.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

WC-Strayder wrote:

Forget the footwork ala boxing, thats a sport fighting style and it consist of hopping up and down, a blind side, a strong/weak side and a strong/weak arm, none of it is good if self defence is what your after.

I believe you greatly underestimate boxing as a self defense system. Go tell that to Lennox Lewis, Oscar De La Hoya, or any other good boxer for that matter and you might not get the response you were expecting.

I don't think you want to leave wing chun for JKD for the stance. I think there are deeper reason, (maybe you are not satisfied with the teaching or maybe you are tired to do a TMA and you would like something which has a more direct approach to self-defence) what I suggest you is look inside yourself and find the REAL reason why you want to quit WC. Once you find the reason you will find also the answer to this question.

Take both at the same time if at all possible. That way you can compare both at the same time rather then having to reflect back on your wing chun training. Don't just quit and jump head long into something, try it out first.