• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

ways to increase vertical

JLee

i play basketball very often since is my favorite sport. i'm 5'10'' and can get rim with my fingers. i play on a team and my position is forward. i was wondering if there was any way to increase my vertical without weights and just using my body weight? i want to dunk by next year, lol.

And also i used to box with my dad a while ago and i stopped because i had to study for SAT's which i'm still doing. can anyone give me a good/fast resulting workout using ONLY my body weight that will help me endure the boxing matches(being quick,taking hits, throwing fast/hard punches,quick jabs,ducking,avoid getting hit, ect..)

thanks a lot

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

welll... i used to be in the track team... if you can, go find a track coach that knows proper excercises for long jumpers. He should be able to tell you what excercise you can do to make your vertical higher.

"In battle, confrontation is done directly, victory is gained by surprise"

- Master Sun

I've heard dancers try to shift the muscle use from their thighs to their glutes for vertical jumping, though it takes awhile to 'click'. But it was some time back and i'm hazy on the details.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

If you're talking about increasing vertical for basketball, you also need to work on your calf muscles. This is what will really give you spring. Calf raises and plyometric jumping exercises.

Also, you can work on what gymnasts call "blocking", which is taking horizontal momentum and transferring it to vertical momentum. High jumpers do this as well. (Basically, a layup/dunk is a high jump without the flop at the end.)

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

that first links brilliant - i completely died on the floor for a while after getting through all that.... cool

Thanks for the info - get to practice some more crazy jumping kicks now.