Too expensive?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you need to make sure you can commit to that amount for the foreseeable future. You won't want an interruption in your training just because you can't afford to attend class :)

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

I think, in the beginning at least, you need to make classes as easy for you to attend as possible. There is a huge drop out rate in the martial arts and I think if you add other factors into that, such as expensive classes, long drives, expensive gear etc. then it will add to the odds of dropping out. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that YOU will necessarily drop out, but the odds are more stacked in your favour if, until you really get into it, it is an easier ride. Once you are hooked you may well drive miles or pay more for your tuition but I feel that commitment is often built up over time.

What I suggest is travelling around to a few centres in your area and sitting in on some lessons. Feel free to ask questions, if they can't (won't!) answer them then they are probably not worth your effort. Eventually you will find a place which clicks with you, and you never know, it may even be a MA you hadn't considered unil then. I think the most important part of any club is not the style, bu the instruction. You need to feel you can bond with your sensei and your fellow students, and you need to know you are getting quality instruction.

JMHO

Angela :)

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Sometimes in the martial arts, like any other discipline, you may learn from an individual of tremendous skill, capacity to teach, and predigree. In addition to paying someone to help you learn, you are paying for their particular accomplishments, what they add. In cases like this, you should evaluate the impact of a top level, grade-a, 'known in their field' type of guy on your training.

Ask yourself if you learn a front thrust kick from one of Dan Inosanto's intructors if you would benefit any more or less by learning it from Sensei Joe Bagofdoughnuts who charges next to nothing.

Additional factors in high matriculation fees are dojo overhead, and....whatever additional excuses that particular instructos offer. You cant argue with hi monthly rates from dojos located on prime real estate (but you can investigate whether the same thing can be found taught in a less expensive area). If you cant readily identify what drives up a price for studying at acertain school, it should definately raise any eyebrow.

Speaking for myself, i live in an area where 200 bucks a month is what the market will bear for Kung Fu and Ju Jitsu. Hence, I elect to drive to Savanannah (45 miles, miles, 40 minutes) and save 160 bucks a month rather than practice locally. I feel i get more value this way.

"What do you tell a guy with two black eyes?-nothing. Somebody's already told him. Twice."

I'd have to agree that it's probably a ripoff. They are teaching 5 or 6 different styles, how much of each class is dedicated to each art? Or is it a single class per art?

It sounds like you would be paying a lot for watered down or sporadic training in several different styles. Better to find a single style you like, reach a high rank in that, THEN crosstrain. You'll be much more adaptible that way, and get more out of the crosstraining.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Ok let me go throu the arithmetics 16 a week makes about 64 pound a month which is around 100 euro little less maybe. For the same art (JKD + kali Inosanto method) twice a week I pay 47 Euro/month, the quality is quite good I think and the class is small (max 10 people). So I think it is expensive compared to here, but you should compare with your local standards.