• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How pulled muscles can heal quicker?

elila

I'm starting to get back into the advanced class routine at my school, and on the first class back I've already pulled a muscle! :bawling: The rest of my body is sore but my left arm is swelled up and the muscle hurts so bad. We were practicing kicks and I was holding a target for someone, I was starting to switch which hand I held it with rather than using both and my left arm is probably much weaker, because there was a lot of pain.

I remeber when I first started MA to get rid of the pain I would just excersize more to get rid of the pain. I don't think I can use my arms too well, and the rest of me hurts too! I've been taking ibuprofen which helps some, but how can I get rid of the pain? Should I suck it up and do push-ups, or would that make it worse somehow? Is there any type of massage that can help? Should I apply ice or heat- Or will that not do any good now since it's been a few days?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

pushups will make it worse coz ur gonna contract it which isnt what u need. the converse would help recovery i.e. light stretching and massaging. infact i think you should take it easy for a while cz ur onli going to make it worse.

"Life is a journey, not a destination"

"Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless"

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do"

A pulled muscle can take a long time to heal. Ussually about 3 weeks of rest is required. After that, you have to play it smart. Make sure you warm up good and stretch gently. If it still hurts (and I'm not talking about the ussual sore, tired muscles kind of pain) it will only get worse.

It can take anywhere between 2 to 6 months for the pain to completely disappear and there is not much you can do to speed up the recovery - except to rest as much as possible.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Next time dont try to be the cool guy, and use both hands, please :)

Take a week off, but I would work out my legs and abs while im away so i dont get out of shape. Maybe you can even run. Just dont puch, or do pushups or anything, and when you do come back, take it easy on the arm for 2 or 3 more weeks till you really know its fully healed and back to normal. It might feel cured after only 1 week but if you punch hard enough the pain could come back.

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)