• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Controlling your nerves when doing kata in front of...

rivergirl

Everyone in the dojo! I have such trouble with being nervous when our sensei asks everyone to line up against the wall and then one by one we have to get up in front of everyone and do our kata...Just last week we learned Matsamura Rohai, (I haven't tested for my first belt yet) I'm pretty proud of myself that I can even remember all the moves, let alone do them in front of everyone else all by myself...anyways, I get so nervous when we have to do this, how can I control my nervousness? It affects the way I perform. It sounds really dumb, but we always practice facing one wall in the dojo, and tonight when we had to do this we had to turn around and face the opposite wall, which totally screwed me up. Anyways, I'm rambling, I know, but any tips on conquering your nerves when performing in front of other people? I hate it that I get so physched out by this, I want to conquer my fears. I am not a person who likes to be the center of attention like that. Can anyone give me any tips?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think of it like this. When you watch other people perform their katas, do you really look at them and "care" if they do anything badly or totaly wrong? Atleast i dont and i figured that most people probobly dont so there is really no need to worry. :)

Extraordinary abilities can only come from extraordinary effort

all i can say is that the more you do it, the less it will bother you.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

When you bow in, your mind should be totally cleared of any and all outside influences. Your only focus at that time is the kata you are about to execute....not "perform".....its not a show.....you must become one with the kata, seeing, feeling, and being nothing but the kata. Practice it in every direction, so when youre in the dojo, you dont start focusing on "landmarks".....If you think it was confusing to just turn around and do it facing the other way, what would have happened if your instructor told you to turn 45* from your normal starting point ???? That would have really played with your head.....you should be able to do the kata with your eyes closed, and end up in the same finishing spot all the time.......just keep practicing. ;-)

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

remember we are all nervous beginers once. the other beginer belts will be just as nervous as you, although they may not show it. and the more experianced karateka will understand.

i am also quite shy and i understand exactly how you feel, like master jules said, focus on your kata, ignore everyone else. once you start all you should be doing is step...punch....turn.. step...block...kick... (repeat to finish)

If you have just read the above message and agree with it then you may worship me as the best thing since sliced bread.

Of course if you don't agree then hey, i'm a crazed lunatic and you should ignore my insane ramblings.

Practise practise practise... :karate:

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice"

- Samurai maxim

"If you know the art of breathing you have the strength, wisdom and courage of ten tigers"

- Chinese adage

You can prevent your opponent from defeating you through defense, but you cannot defeat him without taking the offensive.

Yes, I agree with most people mentioned, but I know (being myself a beginner) It's not easy, practice helps a lot, so practice in order to control every aspect of the kata. When you execute in front of the commission don't think about the outcome of the exam, don't think about people watching (and sometimes taking picture and movies) think only about the details of your execution. Good luck and until the day of the exam, keep practicing, even just by visualization, it helps I can tell you.

Think of it like this. When you watch other people perform their katas, do you really look at them and "care" if they do anything badly or totaly wrong? Atleast i dont and i figured that most people probobly dont so there is really no need to worry. :)

That's a good point.

Also, you're training for yourself, not for the others. You want to do well for yourself, not for the people who're watching (if they're watching at all).

Your sensei is there to help you. To teach, to correct the mistakes... How can he do that if you're to nervous to perform?

You have to learn how to focus on what really matters.

I had the same problem and I find practice is the best way to gain confidence. You have to persuade yourself that you can do it. Try different starting points, face different directions... Practice, practice, practice. Practice makes perfect ;)

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

I agree with RaidenTB. I also used to get nervous, but the more you do it, the less nervous you'll get. I don't even get nervous for belt tests anymore (I will for my BB test though LOL).

As far as getting confused with changing your direction for your form: Learn your kata till you know it by heart, of course. Then perform it in all directions at the dojo. Try different places (in your house, outside in the yard, ect). Believe it or not, not many people in my school can perform their kata in more than one direction (they get messed up during tests when they have to face the side wall). And this is what I tell them, and it seems to work.

Laurie F