• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Weapons or not.

Does you MA training includes weapons  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Does you MA training includes weapons

• Yes
    • No

My training includes weapons in JKD/kali, but my karate school does not teach kobudo. So I put yes even if I consider karate as my primary art.

(The main question needs to be edited so how can I do it?)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In karate we train with knives, in kobudo people train with Bo, Jo, Tonfa, bokken, nunchaku and some other weapons. Karate and kobudo are trained in same club, and same people are involved. If you want to defend yourself against weapons, you must know how to use them, and how they work.

In TSD, we did (if I can remember correctly ... it's been 4 years since I studied it) bo, knife, sword, some nunchaku, Tonfa, and Sai (last three were basically by choice. It wasn't really in the curriculum, but the BB's learned them).

Current art: I just learned one bo form so far. Heidi, I thought we did knife also or is that just defenses?

Laurie F

So far it's mostly defense but I think Master Kuek teaches some offense to the Master Club (or whatever it's called?????). How about that bo...don't ya just love switching your balance to bo stance and falling over all the time!!!!!!!! When I teach Special Training (red & black belts) before the tests we go to the park and practice on the gaurd rails around the parking lot....we get a lot of good laughs until they catch on!!!!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

In Tae Kwon Do weapons are not part of our curriculum, although our Grandmaster has shown the senior instructors some sword work because he practiced kendo in Korea. Otherwise, any weapons training is on your own. We do practice weapons defense though.

In aikido, however, we practice with the bokken, jo, and tanto.

Queen Padme: "So this is how Democracy dies-with thunderous applause."

Annikin Skywalker: "You're either with me or against me!"

Obi-won Kenobi: "That is the Way of the Sith!"

Weapons that I've done so far (more to learn later):

Kuk Sool - jool bohng (nunchaku), short staff, staff, long staff, knife, throwing knives, and sword.

Taijiquan - broadsword (well, in a few weeks or so I will have started :D)

Fetch Daddy's blue fright wig! I must be handsome when I unleash my rage.

So far it's mostly defense but I think Master Kuek teaches some offense to the Master Club (or whatever it's called?????). How about that bo...don't ya just love switching your balance to bo stance and falling over all the time!!!!!!!! When I teach Special Training (red & black belts) before the tests we go to the park and practice on the gaurd rails around the parking lot....we get a lot of good laughs until they catch on!!!!

Yea it's Matsers Club. They use Kali sticks, too.

Actually, I'm getting used to the bo form FINALLY LOL. I usually pick a line on the floor (you've seen our "rings." I practice on one end of the ring), and try to keep my feet on that line. I fell in the beginning, but lately, it's getting easier. LOL I like your idea, though :)

Laurie F

Weapons that I have used:

Single ssangh jeol bangh (Nunchaku)

Single and double bangh mangh ee (Escrima)

Ssangh Nat (Kama)

Currently working with the bo staff (jangh bangh) and the sam dang bangh (3 sectional staff), and we are doing sai basics in our Masters club weapons sections.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player