• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How sick/hurt have you been during a test?

For one of my BB test I had to do a down punch through 5 boards stacked together suspended from cinder blocks. When practicing on a rebreakable board the week before the test I busted the two knuckles You're supposed to hit with. I thought I had broken them.

On test day they were swollen up and still hurting pretty bad. So one of the masters judging that day told me I could use my left hand. I was embarresed when I ha dto tell him that I hadn't prepared with that hand. So he told me my only choice was to use my right hand but he would let me just attempt 3 boards. Another master told me I would only have 1 chance, because after hitting the boards my hand will be demolished.

So prior to the board breaking part of the test I kept pumping my fist, open and closing it tightly. This made my hand and forarm sort of numb and all stiff. As I stood over my boards I saw my wife out the corner of my eye with the camera. She had tears coming out her eyes, she knew this was gonna hurt. I yelled and put everything into it and the boards broke.

It took about 20 minutes after that before I could open my hand again.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took my last dan test injured. The intense training I did for it took a toll on my aready injured knee and by the time the test rolled around I was facing a possibly life changing surgery. I chose to test anyway but was allowed to modify my breaks (which were a bust anyway because of the instability no matter which leg did the kicking!) and sparring. The test went well...I even got yelled at for sparring too hard (aahhh the heat of the moment :brow: !!!). I am glad that I went through with it and now as I sit here recovering from surgery I know I made the right decision. :wink:

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/