• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

always in your Gi??

osuperu

I wear my Gi in the dojo , and sometimes i waer it while training alone , otherwise i wear shorts and t-shirt .

If i am training for kumitee i prefer to put the Gi on .

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey thanks...and yes in the futuro if i have questions that can be answered in previous posts...do let me know...becuase i really dont have enought time to peruse this forums many posts...

Used to wear my Gi almost religiously if I was training. Now, after a bit of a revelation, tracky bottoms and a t-shirt will do just fine :D

hey thanks...and yes in the futuro if i have questions that can be answered in previous posts...do let me know...becuase i really dont have enought time to peruse this forums many posts...

The search button is always a good choice...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

My morning practice is usually done in pj bottoms and t-shirt. Later I may wear street clothes or something loose and comfy.I prefer bare feet but also practice in socks and in shoes.For myself, it's important to practice in all types of clothing.If I am attacked in an actual confontation I want to be prepared to respond regardless of what I am wearing.The chances of my being attacked while wearing my gi seem rather remote at this point.

hajime~kyu

hajime~kyu

The more I think I know, the more I find I have to learn.

"The search button is always a good choice..."

...yea but the search engine is not the greatest..unless i havent figured it out, it looks for posts and not the topic subejct.

So if i do a search for 'backstance problem'..ill get every post with the word backstance in it....but as i said...maybe im using the search tool wrong...if i am let me know

I still have my dobok (gi) on :D Actually, I trained today at the school and I just got done doing a little training by myself at home. Just didn't bother taking my uniform off.

Normally when I train at home, I just wear a t-shirt and gi bottoms or sweats. Or, like today, if I wanna train some more at home after class, I won't bother changing into sweats. Plus it's so dang comfy :D :lol:

Laurie F

i wear my gi weather i'm in or out of the dojo. when i train outside the dojo in my gi, its like turning on a "switch" of a machine inside my head. lets me know "it's time to go to work". also, i feel like i'm advocating a time honored tradition. the many great warriors who trained before me, wore their gi's when they trained. especially in fuedal japan, where, wearing ones gi was considered an honor & not a fashion statement, like as in todays society.

Wisdom is knowledge rightly applied. To fight wisely is to rightly apply techniques.

I agree with kenpo_fighter. For me, training in my gi is like showing up to work in professional attire--and then some. Wearing a gi is a custom and a tradition, part of the culture I embraced the day my dojo adopted me.

"Tigers are quiet and watch everything. They listen and watch. If you train as a tiger -- hard training and body conditioning -- you can always train with tigers. Other tigers will also recognize you and you can train in peace with them. They know who they are and they have nothing to prove. They are at peace." ~Tomoyose Ryuko, 9th dan Uechi Ryu

i wear my gi weather i'm in or out of the dojo. when i train outside the dojo in my gi, its like turning on a "switch" of a machine inside my head. lets me know "it's time to go to work".

Not to be overly critical, but if what you do is supposed to be second nature to you, it shouldn't take a gi for that switch in your head to click on.

i feel like i'm advocating a time honored tradition. the many great warriors who trained before me, wore their gi's when they trained.

The tradition of wearing gi is actually also a "recent" adaptation. That is, it's a little over a century old. It's not a tradition going back to feudal Japan/Okinawa.

I'd encourage you to read this: http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=250425&highlight=#250425 . It's some observations and experiences I've noted over the years about traditional gi as well as input from a discussion with my instructor. Ultimately, nothing is wrong with wearing gi in and out of the dojo; just make sure it doesn't become a crutch.

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com