• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Maliwara users?

Freddy

I have used the makiwara and understand its application, but I feel I derive greater benefit from bag work with bare knuckles or gloves. I use bare knuckles to ensure I am striking correctly and add the gloves for greater reps.

I come from a boxing background originally so I have that as a reference.

Respectfully,

Sohan

I agree. I think people like the romanticism of using a wooden post makiwara, whereas a punch bag is better for your knuckles and wrist.

The 2nd video looked like to me his wrist wasn't straight when he was punching.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makiwara, its being discussed a lot lately.

For me its essential and makes up pert of my training, an important part along with heavy bag - they are very different.

Of course you need to train sensibly, and have a decent makiwara that is safe to use.

After 3 months of makiwara training, many of my training partners were 'jumping' away from strikes that before they would have been happy to recieve in sparring and partner drills, its a 'kime' development tool that helps with our own body alignment - more structure when we hit is more applied power.

If your training older style karate and include self defense in your view of what karat eis for then personally i see makiwara training as essential, many okinawans seem to agree - they invented karate.

Yours in karate

Jim Neeter

https://www.shoshinkanuk.org

I think the makiwara is a great training and focus tool. I however, do not use it to toughen my knuckles, but to focus correct technique when striking. Many times a new and even not-so-new student when hitting an object will do so incorrectly. He/she may not be using the proper knuckles, the strike is not aligned, etc... So for us, it is simply a training tool used to perform correct strikes. Powerul strikes (training) when done correctly, can be performed against a heavy bag.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.