Training with/for knee problems

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some doctors are really dumb. There's going to be idiots in every profession.

True, but say the doc tells him that squats don't work (Knowing the weakness in the leg won't respond well to squats), he goes out and completely trashes his knee because someone told him "Screw the doc, do light weights anyway."

If you don't believe the doc, get a second and/or third opinion. Just running out and doing what you think might work is just asking for trouble.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Ahh, forgot about the second/third opinion thing. Yeah, do that first. If doc says it's ok, do em, if he says don't, ask other docs. Good thinking Aodhan

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

I'm developing a bad knee as well. It runs in my family. My dad quit training at green belt due to his knees, my sister is only 30 and she already wears a knee brace because hers are so bad.

I am 21, and have been training for 3 years. My right knee hurts after training almost every time. I'm pretty sure its my left roundhouse kick thats doing the damage (not turning my supporting foot enough). So I'm working on my technique, to save my knee the pain. However I'm sure genetics will get the best of me in the end.

Ask your doctor if doing squats will damage your knees or not, not hurt them, damage them. If he says they won't get damaged, then perform squats regularly and see if it helps, and make sure they're ATF squats.

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

Again, welcome to the bad knee(s) club. A horse flipped on you? That's pretty terrible, my accident involved my leg becoming one with a mountain bike.

Consult your doctor. I have read tons of anatomy books and done plenty of training but had I not had a great doctor and an equally great physical therapist, I would probably be hobbling around today. However, they both helped me a lot and I have no knee pain at all (In fact, I'm a frequent full contact sparring partner for a few of my kickboxer friends).

There is, of course, a difference between every doctor. In fact, my first doctor told me that it was just some sort of sprain. He didn't even think about an ACL tear. The second doctor knew it was an ACL tear the minute he walked in the room.

Don't ever push yourself too hard. Listen to your biological feedback - if your joints say no in your condition, you listen.

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.

Sports doctors are prolly the best I've ever seen. Much smarter IMO than regular doctors. At least in the way of injuries from (duh) sports activities.

Joshua Brehm

Riding a bike is a reall great way to build muscle around the knees I know this myself because i had to strenghten the muscles around my knees to keep up with shotokan(low deep stances) and muay thai.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn