• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Knee Ligament - Tear !

morph

Anyone had a tore knee ligament before ?

I tore my knee ligament 8 days ago to be exact during a TaeKwonDo competition .

I undergo a surgery 3 days ago to get them "stitched" back .

Just wondering , what kind of supplement i could take to help my recovery faster ? And the most important thing , can i still continue to take part in competitive sparring ?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Of course you should ask your doctor about this as each injury is different as is the treatment. Some doc's don't want you taking anti-inflamatories, some do. As far as competition goes, that's another one you should discuss with him/her. I think it depends on the injury and your patience. Good luck with the surgery and keep us updated.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Anyone had a tore knee ligament before ?

I tore my knee ligament 8 days ago to be exact during a TaeKwonDo competition .

I undergo a surgery 3 days ago to get them "stitched" back .

Just wondering , what kind of supplement i could take to help my recovery faster ? And the most important thing , can i still continue to take part in competitive sparring ?

Supplementing to aid recovery should be regulated by your doctor. Your knee ligaments stabilize everything in your knee, so don't mess around with them. I have heard some people recommend chondroitin and similar, but again, let your doc know.

As far as competitive sparring, probably not while rehabbing, but there shouldn't be a problem after that. There are hundreds of football/basketball players every year that tear knee ligaments and go on to great careers with no effects.

Which ligament? ACL, MCL, PCL?

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

If it's partially torn then chances are your recovery could be fairly quick. If it's a full tear that's when things get dicey. The recovery times take a lot longer and you could be looking at a lot more rehab. Don't try to accelerate your recovery. Just get your surgery, do your rehab, and you will be back to compete. Just have a little patience.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

@ ninjanurse : I've done the surgery and so far so good . Just need some time for it to recover .

@ Aodhan : I'm not sure which ligament ... how many types of ligament are they ? :x

@ isshinryu5toforever : I dont think it's partially , it's quite bad as i can't bend my knees or put it straight . It was left 90degrees all the time until i had the surgery .

I heard cracking sound on my knee before i fell on the floor as i could not support myself , i got up limping continue sparring and again cracking sound was heard , that time , i could not stand up at all and was sent to the nearest hospital for treatment

there are four ligaments in the knee that stabilize it:

Anterior Cruciate Ligament

Posterior Cruciate Ligament

Medial Collateral Ligament (also known as Tibial Collateral Ligament)

Lateral Collateral Ligament (also known as Fibular Collateral Ligament)

The ACL is the one typically torn and is the main stabilizer of the knee (seems an uncruel joke that such a small ligament is the main stabilizer for the knee). The ACL and PCL cross over while the MCL and LCL are on each side respectively.

Typically if the ACL is torn there is also cartilage damage to the knee.

Which type of graft did you have?

I've torn my ACL and Meniscus, and boy that's not fun. However, yours should heal up much quicker then mine. Mainly because I spent 4 months pretending like nothing was wrong (Being macho, A.K.A. stupid.)

Actually, I still don't have an ACL. But that hasn't slowed me down.

Sorry to hear about your injury.

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.

As was already said, there are four ligaments in the knee. Ligaments stabilize joints, since they are there to connect bone to bone. The cracking sound is what I would be curious about, I've not heard of a cracking sound when you tear a ligament. Did the doc say there was any meniscus damage as well?

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

@ Mith : Thanks for the explanation . But i still have no idea which ligament i got tore .

@ Hudson : how could u spend 4 months pretending like nothing happen ? Could you still walk like normal ? or limping ? As for me , i could not get my knee straight or bend it at all .

@ Aodhan : Yes , at first the doctor thought it was a meniscus tear , but after the operation , i was told it was actually a ligament tear and not meniscus .

I waited nine years to have surgery after I tore mine in 1992 playing football.

My knee used to "trick out" all the time and I don't know if I ever recall a cracking sound. I guess it is possible.

Has your knee swollen up and did they aspirate it? If they aspirate and blood is drawn out then you definitely have a torn ligament.

You need to pay an Orthopedic surgeon a visit to get some tests run. They can tell you what you've done.

Good luck to you.