• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

scared to spar

thomas

I dont want anyone to no but i freeze and become scared,when i spar at tournaments,even thou i know, im better than most of the other compeitors,but i have no fear doing kata. i know its in my mind but i cant get over it .please any helpful hints thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

clear you mind before the match. I used to get chased out of the ring by lesser opponents...why, I dunno? But I did. Then I started getting a bit more aggressive...now that doesn't happen anymore.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

Well, it's okay to have fear. A shihan from Japan told me you must have some fear. That being said, my personal advice to you is to relax you shoulders so you can move. If you're worried about getting hit, I'll tell you now you will get hit. Just keep moving around and some advice from someone I know, "Hit them and don't get hit."

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

I've only sparred a few times, and I used to be TERRIFIED! You have no idea. I found, though, that if you kind of laugh with your partner, as well as compliment certain techniques he/she does right, it really lightens the mood and puts you both at ease. This would be more for class, though. In competitions, I assume it would be more competitive. Not having been in any to date, I can't help you there. But just try to relax and take things easy. Have fun with your partner!

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

No matter how much compettion I did, I always got the butterflies prior to the starting. The more that I competed, the less intense that it was so my advice is to just continue entering and face your fears.

What works works

I remember being 7 years of age and having to spar with a 2 kyu and it freaked me out. I didnt want to go back!!

But in time as your skills grow you naturally develop confidence.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

I don't fear sparring in general, in my karate class the others are quite controlled although it happened once that I was hurt during karate point sparring, but ok, if it happends (unless you are not knocked down) just keep moving and breathe the adrenalin will do the rest.

In my JKD class I'm a little more worried because there are 2 guys that have the tendency to go quite hard, but nevertheless I'm not too scarred.

fear and nervousness is common, and a good emotion, but do not let it take control. i used to get majo butterflies but then once i started, felt fine. i don't really know what to say as far as advice goes, but keep going and face your fears. i've heard several pro athletes say they'd also get terrible butterflies before games, but once the game starts in all sort of goes away. i think a little fear and nervousness can make you more aware, just don't let it overcome you.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."