• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Most important athlete of all-time?

jedione12

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mika Häkkinen, häkkisen mika. No one really knows who he is. Ok he is a 2 time f1 champion and Alain Prost (4 time champion) has always said that mika häkkinen is the fastest driver ever

What hurts you but doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

I don't think that you could narrow it down to ONE most important athlete ever, you'd have to categorize it by sport, such as the person that most defines their sport.

Also, you'd have to do research and compare accomplishments over time. Everyone screams Lance Armstrong, which is a very solid choice, but Greg Lemond was the first American, and also came back to win one after being shot with a shotgun in a hunting accident. He also could have won more if he hadn't been a good domestique. (BTW, did anyone know that Lance Armstrong was a nationally ranked age group triathlete when he was young?)

Jesse Owens, Bruce Jenner, Mark Spitz, Eric Heiden, Edwin Moses, Joe Louis, Greg Lemond, Lance Armstrong, Eddy Merckx, Ali, Fraser, Sugar Ray, Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Dale Earnhardt, Sir Roger Bannister, John Elway, Johnny Unitas, Walter Payton, Dr. J, Jordan, Bobby Orr, Gordie Howe, Wayne Gretzky, Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, Superfoot Wallace, many many more in their individual sports.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

ohh i see. so michael jordan isn't even on the list. wow... but yeah i'll agree Ali is one of my most important athletes

"In battle, confrontation is done directly, victory is gained by surprise"

- Master Sun

Jackie Robinson gets mine

Good answer......There are certainly many "stand outs" in all areas of sports, but what JR had to endure was torturous, and basically opened the door for all black athletes......thats a pretty huge accomplishment.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

Some truisms that apply: history is written by the winners and individual memory is short.

I admit to knowing very little about sports, much less athletes, but I have always been impressed by stories of men (and women) that prevailed in life over obstacles. Discrimination of any kind (the various 'isms') is the hardest obstacle in that it can be so nebulous/intangible and yet pervasive.

Lance Armstrong's personal struggle with cancer is inspiring. Too bad his marriage didn't hold up. My vote is for all the athletes that persevere under unfair conditions, and do it with grace and dignity. The Jackie Robinsons, the Jim Thorpes, etc.

'Nardism' of the day:

The measure of a man is not if he falls, but how he gets up.

Leaves fall.

Some truisms that apply: history is written by the winners and individual memory is short.

I admit to knowing very little about sports, much less athletes, but I have always been impressed by stories of men (and women) that prevailed in life over obstacles. Discrimination of any kind (the various 'isms') is the hardest obstacle in that it can be so nebulous/intangible and yet pervasive.

Lance Armstrong's personal struggle with cancer is inspiring. Too bad his marriage didn't hold up. My vote is for all the athletes that persevere under unfair conditions, and do it with grace and dignity. The Jackie Robinsons, the Jim Thorpes, etc.

'Nardism' of the day:

The measure of a man is not if he falls, but how he gets up.

An excellent and very eloquently written post Harlan.....the best of which is the "Nardism of the day"..... I would just like to add that its not only "how he gets up", but what he does after he gets up......

Remember....failure is only failure if you dont learn from it.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"