• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Most important athlete of all-time?

jedione12

There was an interesting read in playboy's june issue where they interviewed Lance Armstrong, mentioning him as possibly being the most important athlete of all-time. I guess I never really thought of him like that before, but after reading through, this guy overcame 12 tumors, goes on to win the Tour de France 6 times in a row, and helped raise close to $40 million for cancer by selling those simple yellow bracelets for $1 each...he has my vote.

Just wondering what everyone else's opinion is?

Chris P.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That sounds amazing. From all that, I would say he is definitely up there! Another person who I would nominate is Terry Fox (though I'm not sure he's an athlete, exactly). Very brave and courageous. Great soul.

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

I think Arnold would be up in that top brass too. He was the presidential fitness advisor, movie star, bodybuilding champion, and Governor of CA. Not bad for an immigrant son of a police officer :D . Oh yeah, he's also a household word, and one of the Kennedys 8) .

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

Armstrong is definately in the top three.

Then there's Bruce Jenner who won Olympic gold when he broke the world record by scoring 8,634 points in the decathlon at the 1976 Olympic games in Montreal and earned the title, “World’s Greatest Athlete.”

The years since his athletic achievements made him world famous, Bruce has become a highly respected motivational speaker, sports commentator, entrepreneur, commercial spokesperson, television personality, actor, producer and author. A devoted father and husband, Bruce is also a loyal supporter of many non profit and charitable organizations and serves on numerous advisory boards such as the Special Olympics, where he serves on the Council of Champions, The National Dyslexia Research Foundation, and an avid supporter of Athletes and Entertainers for Kids. Bruce and his wife Kris serve on the board of The Dream Foundation, an organization that grants wishes to terminally ill adults, and C.O.A.C.H. for Kids, a mobile medical unit providing quality health care to under privileged families throughout Los Angeles.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

Both Jesse Owens and Joe Louis should be atop that list. They both gave the United States a morale boost when it was drastically needed. They earned no money, gave none to a charity, but what they did helped a nation in its time of need. Also, it is little known or noted that Owens did not want to run on the winning relay team (he preferred one of his Jewish teammates do it) but was told to shut up and do what he was told. I find it refreshing that a man with very few rights in his own country was willing to do what was right for another man.

Jackie Robinson gets mine

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."