rivergirl

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, men fight women, women fight men, kids fight adults and vice versa. Each fight is a judgement call, if you are fighting a whitebelt then you need to fight according to their skill level. If you are a bigger person fighting a small person, then again you use your judgement. You do not want to break someone, but you do want to give them a challenge so that they can learn something. I have watched my instructor fight little kids, females and males and he fights some of the females harder than some of the males because he knows what the individual can do. The individual is more important than the gender, because that is what determines the intensity of the match.

I am a 20 year old female and do not expect a male student to take me lightly just because I am a female otherwise, they will get run around the ring. It is one thing I have come to appreciate because I can more accurately judge the effectiveness of my skills.

In every dojo / dojang I've been to, the different sexes certainly do mix it up, unless we were preparing for a tournament.

Same as for me. When there is the preparation for a tournament we pair according to gender and also weight (like in the tournament) but in other cases we usually mix up.

Our school is an equal opportunity trainer. The women are brutalised equally along with the men

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

• 4 weeks later...

yes. women are tought to use technique more so than power as men are tought to use power moreso than technique. it balances out anyway, because the wiles and technique of the feminine balance out with the moving ringout powers of the masculine. the women basically hit easily, but most of the time its easier to for men to get penalties on them.

"Karate is an art. It must be regarded as such with its entirety of philosophical thought and development of the mind in harmony with the body. If it isn't thought of this way it is valueless. It is like eating only the bitter skin of the apple while leaving the sweet inner meat untasted. It is this crucial premise that is being overlooked today, and if the tide is not turned, I must predict the demise of the art. "

-Isao Obata

I sparred a guy last night at a sister school that had a control problem (Heidi's school). Heidi said light contact (sorry Heidi, had to do it), but I didn't go light with him, because he didn't go light with us. He was told to, and didn't. He hit hard, and nearly kicked my butt, but I didn't back off ;) It was good for conditioning, though :D

Laurie F

:lol: He came to me afterwards and said " I need to have some control huh?"!!!!! And how!!! But , take heart, WE will teach him and he will learn, and he will be a great fighter for Master Kuek. He has no fear..took on the Black Belt and red belt without a blink! Besides, you got in some good shots!!! I really appreciate you guys coming down..it was a good lesson for the other girls there too! Girls can fight!!! :brow:

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/