• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What do you think is the most important kata to learn?

Samurai Shotokan

I do beleive that they are all important for their various reasons. The Taikyoku series is important to develop basic fluidity of motion and footwork, and of course to develop one's basic skills. I agree that the Sanchin katas are also very important too, because they help to provide muscle strength and important breathing techniques. (But we all know deep in our hearts we want to say our highest kata :wink: )

"The fastest draw is when the sword never leaves the scabbard,

The strongest way to block, is never to provoke a blow,

And the cleanest cut is the one withheld."

"Karate is a defensive art from beginning to end. " - Gichin Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tekki shodan, naihanchi, haifanchi, however you want to call it. REpresents my own training and therefor if I could only do one kata my whole life, that would be it. In my school I teach it upright as you may know it. Then it is taught against a wall Keeping you back on the wall, concentrating on the hand motions, and using the wall as a weapon. Then, I teach it on the ground as a grappling form. There is much bunkai in that kata. Doing it these three ways, will open your mind to more bunkai.

Another kata that will teach you how to fight is "ten no kata" This is a shotokan kata, but I have yet to find a shoto kan school that teaches it. It is in the back of karate do kyohon. You can do it ura and omote. Forward or backward. It is a series of blocks and counters. I like to teach this kata because mistakes can't be hidden. Do you know this kata? anyone?

place clever martial arts phrase here

I do think the first kata that you learn (and in my style it is Heian Shodan) is the most important. It is from that first basic Kata that you learn to build from in order to do other kata well. It isn't my favorite Kata, but feel it is most important. I practice it quite often, and can still see where I can make improvements on it.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Do you know this kata? anyone?

It's interesting that you teach Ten No Kata - something quite neglected but Shotokan to the bone - and yet you're looking at grappling in Tekki. Not that it's contradictory, but it's great seeing someone think outside the box and yet stay within limits.

Life is not measure in how many breaths you take, but many moments take your breath away

Sanchin and Tensho. (the "one hit one kill" kata)

Kanku is also sweet, as is Sepai.

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I'm going to play devil advocate here: I think that basic kata are not the kata you should strip your art down to... Like in Shotokan where Kanku and to a lesser extent Basai contain a catalog of ideas and principles of the art, you should pick those. However, Goju would have their own signature kata, etc. The goal of this question is to think: What is the best bang for my buck? Where can one put the most effort with the most return. In that case it probably should be a kata at the shodan level (where most karateka during the Meji era started learning the kata).

Of course you could always just pick the prettiest.