• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

2 style sparring

We spar right from white belt so I like to restrict our techniques in sparring to our style until people get our basics right. For example we do not use leg sweeps locks or throws in TKD sparring. However, in our senior classes almost anything goes and I welcome the introduction of new techniques. In fact we brainstorm them and invite people from other styles

to contribute. \

In the lower grades I don't think its fair if one person is sparring by TKD or se t style rules and the other is doing what they like. So thre trick is to talk to the instructor, your sparring partner etc and establish what is acceptable. Most good clubs and instructorswill welcome new techniques in the right setting.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have a similar background as you. Previous martial arts experience and cross training help on the general capabilities like speed, focus, footwork, reflexes, general attitude etc. regarding specific techniques I think you have to empty your cup because for example in karate (point sparring sport rules) hooks, overhands and uppercuts are not allowed, even jab to the body is not allowed, I took some time to eliminate them from my karate sparring (expecially jab to the body that sometimes I still do by mistake).

Try with both and yuor sensei will let you know if he does'nt approve(i know you are trying to avoid that!!!) but it may be the only way to spar effectively.

A punch should stay like a treasure in the sleeve. It should not be used indiscrimately.

Kyan Chotoku Sensei

I would say focus on one at a time, until you are proficient in each... Thats my humble opinion...

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant