• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

is there too much protein?

in the summer i will have more time to work out. and once each other day my workout schedule might be as follows:

running, for like 25-30 something minutes.

push ups- 3 sets of 12, gradually increase as i get stronger

dumbells-3 sets of 6 for now, 25 pounds curls.

- 20 pounds should exercises and bicep exercises with them as well.

-crunches - 6 sets of 30.

i wait 30 seconds in between each set.

now, i might split the running and push ups on the other day, or keep everything together. ive been doing these exercises for a while at some point, but because of the little i eat i guess i didnt get as strong as i should have :dodgy: . but now i got this protein shake thing, and that should help me, but how much protein a day before or after these exercises is good? thanks gotta get cut by summer :D

Im brasilian, but live in the united states. Really enjoying martial arts.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Google is your friend.

Do a search for protein grams per pound calculation and/or protein supplementation, and you will find all your answers.

I'd just tell you, but you learn it more if you have to look it up yourself.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

yea..theres sites on the internet with good info, but remember..your kindeys are your friends :) so dont take too much drink lots of water, as one should always.

Maddwraph,

Please remember: Protein does not provide energy. It provides the building blocks for muscle growth and regeneration.

It's a common misconception that protein shakes will help provide the energy for training. That's simply not the case. If you need energy - you need calories (the unit that measures energy), not protein.

Of course, the best solution is both.

Protein: for regeneration.

Calories: right foods / energy drinks etc. - to fuel the fire before training.

Remember: energy drinks/shakes and protein drinks/shakes - are not the same.

-V-

More than 200 pictures of Kyokushin technique.

Kata outlined step by step.

https://www.kyokushinbudokai.org (Homepage)

Diary of a Full Contact Martial Artist (Diary)

So your saying before training i should have an energy drink?

It can certainly help ensure that you are taking in enough calories. In my case, I train alot, work a lot and have little time to eat correctly.

So, energy suppliments and protein suppliments are a must (in my case).

-V-

More than 200 pictures of Kyokushin technique.

Kata outlined step by step.

https://www.kyokushinbudokai.org (Homepage)

Diary of a Full Contact Martial Artist (Diary)

That is actually a really good website. It doesn't mention the role of carbohydrates, however- which should be eaten along with every protein serving. The two work together to build muscle.

So your saying before training i should have an energy drink?

It depends. Be careful, because a lot of "energy" drinks are loaded with guarana, which is another form of caffeine. Green tea is another caffeine loaded drink.

If you eat a balanced diet, then you shouldn't need much before your workout. After your workout is much more important, as your body is most receptive to nutrients after a workout to get started on rebuilding torn down tissues (Muscles), and the 1/2 hour or so directly after a workout is the best time to supplement with a protein drink.

One thing I've found is vanilla protein powder and orange Powerade tastes exactly like an Orange Julius. I have that directly after class almost every day.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

Here is some basic information to consider:

Protein - 4 calories per gram

Carbos - 4 calories per gram

Fats - 9 calories per gram

This is why the body prefers to store excess calories as fat, because of the caloric density. The whole "no carbos", "all meat", "All fat" diets are popular crap. ANY diet will work in the short term, long term you need to have a basically healthy diet.

Oh, one other thing to consider, is the body can only process approximately 1000 calories at a time. So, if you have a 1700 calorie meal, the body will attempt to store ~ 700 calories for later.

Well balanced diet, several small meals/snacks during the day, lots of leafy veggies, fruits and water, and you should be good.

If you're looking for weight loss, expending 3500 more calories than you take in per week will result in about a pound a week of weight loss. Anything more than 1-2 pounds a week is either water weight, or not really a permanent weight loss.

Aodhan