• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Athletic backgrounds?

Previous; soccer, baseball, basketball (no formal team), being relatively active, weight training.

Presently; soccer, cross fit (best darned thing out there), olympic and power lifting.

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did softball for 2 seasons, soccer, gymnastics, drama, singing, tap, ballet, a little hip hop, more gymnastics, and Hawaiian dance. Karate was the first sport I stuck too. :D

DORKS HAVE MORE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Savvy?

I think previous athletics experience has really helped me in my martial arts training. I participated in track, golf, cross-country, powerlifting, basketball, and marching band (which is more athletic than people may think). They have helped as far as general physical condition and in learning how to control your body. Most of all though, I think they have taught me how to pay attention and listen to a coach or instructor, and then make my body do it. I can pick up new techniques very quickly, partly because I have experience learning how to move my body. Sometimes I do have a relapse into an old sport or something, but overall athletic experience helps in martial arts training. I would not say that having no experience in athletics hinders martial arts training, however. Good topic!

"Please do not drop your partner like a sack of potatoes. If anything, throw them hard with control." - my instructor

"Your karate is still useless." - my brother as he picks himself up off the floor

... athletic than people may think). They have helped as far as general physical condition and in learning how to control your body. Most of all though, I think they have taught me how to pay attention and listen to a coach or instructor, and then make my body do it. ...... I would not say that having no experience in athletics hinders martial arts training, however. Good topic!

That's my thoughts exactly. After so long as a competing athlete, I know how to listen to a coach, and/or tell my body to do something. Additionally, there is a fluidity in movement that I see in long time athletes that I don't see in people that haven't participated before.

And I agree, no prior experience does not mean you can't be a martial artist. It's all in what you put into it.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Basketball in my teens, then nothing for 20+ years a few years ago I re-started with aerobics and weight lifting in a gym then 2 years ago I started MA activity.

The rest is in my signature.

The long inactivity is the cause of the many physical problems I have, but I'm working on them giving maximum priority to flexibility and speed.

I think this is an excellent topic; possible nomination for Best of Year.

I had some athletic background when starting TKD at age 35, but it had been over 10 years since I played any organized sports. I was pretty good at most of what I played, but never at the top of the game. When I started TKD I was in the worst shape of my life, having gotten married 11 years earlier and now with three kids. But TKD put me in the BEST shape of my life.

My three goals were: 1) To lose weight and get in shape; 2) Get involved in a sport that I could enjoy and do well at; and 3) To earn my black belt. Well, I dropped 35lbs and have more energy then I ever had. I got involved in Olympic style tournaments, winning 12 State championships, 2nd twice at Nationals and 1 National Championship. And just last year earned my 4th dan BB.

My son and daughter have track records that are even better than mine. They have won about the same State or Regional championships; my son has a National championship and my daughter has won 3 National Championships and two 2nd place finishes. And they didn't have any prior sporting experience before starting TKD. Oh, they started when they were 4 years old. :brow:

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

I ran track and cross country before starting karate. They definitely helped with general physical condition, but the biggest thing I've found is perseverence. Where I see other people bringing problems into the dojo, or missing a lot of workouts, I'm there if it's at all possible. Cross country really taught me that you can't give up on something... for pain, fatigue, or whatever.

Running hurdles in track helped with flexibility and leg strength. Unfortunately, running doesn't build the kind of arm strength you need for push-ups and fast punches.

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

I played a little baseball in high school. Plus everywhere I went, I walked. I was a pretty good sprinter, also. I played drums for about 7 or 8 years (that's hard work, using all four limbs constantly!)

But before starting MA, I didn't do any sports for about 5 years or so (other than still playing drums off and on). I still had the strong legs from walking/sprinting, which helped with power kicks. Playing drums helped with coordination (I picked up combos and forms easy, except for two forms). The downfall is, that playing drums made me have weak wrists. Push-ups are still hard for me.

Other than that, I was still out of shape. MA helped me get into better shape.

Laurie F

...cross fit (best darned thing out there)...

What's Cross fit? Sorry, I didn't want to start a new topic for just a simple question.

I've gotta know when someone says it's the best!