• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What having a black belt means

What is your personal opinion on what having a black belt means? How long do you think a person should study before becoming one?

- I think having a black belt demonstrates having a good understanding of basics.

- I think one should train for 3-5 years before becoming a black belt. Someone I know can get a black belt in another year, having trained for 1 year. I don't think 2 years is enough.

What do you think?

I'm not a BB and not so close to become one. However... I agree with what you say in the first point, BB is a milestone in our MA path, the journey is not finish (it does not finish) but when you get there you should have a pretty solid knowledge of the basics.

3-5 years are reasonable numbers for those who trains regularly (let's say 2-4 times a week) and have not previous martial art exposure.

If you are already a BB in a similar art and train 6 days/week 4hours a day this time can be much shorter....

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also believe that a black belt should work hard, and have a handle on the basics. But I also believe that 80% of being a black belt is mental attitude. A black belt isn’t something you wear. It’s something you become.

Here's one of my favorite quotes, "It is good to have an end to journey toward; but, it is the journey that matters in the end." But getting to BB is not an end, it's just the beginning ;)

Laurie F

- you can apply these basics in a fight

So true. I don't care if you have all the techniques in a year... you are not a BB.

It takes alot of paitence, training and *TIME* to be able to use techniques effectively in fighting, point sparring.... the street... whatever.

For instance... what olympic TKD sparring from BB... then colour belts... it's a different world...

You don't have to be the fastest, quickest, strongest... but you have to know how to apply...

While there should be a physical standard to be met, having a Black Belt goes far beyond this. Character(which entails many complex qualities) should be the basis for promoting one to a dan grade and in most systems it is, however, there are a few schools out there that hand out belts like candy for any one that pays. Keeping the principles of Budo within a style is difficult in this day and age but not impossible and I admire those instructors(and systems) that strive to keep it alive.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

While there should be a physical standard to be met, having a Black Belt goes far beyond this. Character(which entails many complex qualities) should be the basis for promoting one to a dan grade and in most systems it is, however, there are a few schools out there that hand out belts like candy for any one that pays. Keeping the principles of Budo within a style is difficult in this day and age but not impossible and I admire those instructors(and systems) that strive to keep it alive.

8)

This is very true. I am in a system that is often slammed for being a "McDojo" system (ATA TaeKwonDo). As with everything, there are elemnts of truth and fiction interwoven. As with any large system, there are the high sides and the low sides. I know of some schools that are belt mills, and I know of others that are really tough to get to 1st Dan in. I switched schools to be at my current one, which falls a little past the middle towards the harder side.

My current instructors really emphasize the meaning side of being a black belt. I've been offered the chief instructor position at their new school opening next year, and I will add in some more requirements (Such as essays, etc) for any student I am considering promoting to 1st Dan, as well as emphasizing the non-physical aspects as well.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

What does a Black Belt mean...Hm…From what I’ve gathered, it signifies the beginning of an endless journey towards the mastering of your art; physically, spiritually, mentally, and philosophically.

However, I believe the definition of a Black Belt will vary even if an 'official' definition for it exist. Different styles, different personalities, and different factors influence every person's definition.

"Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make."

-Bruce Lee

wow, i had to put my two cents in here! TRAIN FOR AT LEAST 7 YEARS! no joke, even if you master it in the first 3 years, there is always something more to build off of and you will be suprised to find how much you truely didnt know. I say to be able to call youreelf a black belt at all, you need to have at least 8 years under your belt of meaningful anf heartfelt training, not crud!

*do not strive to aquire what you want, but strive to want what you have already aquired*

*DO not strive to win, but strive to improve*

I was not sure if I wanted to answer this since I've always had a disdain for rank (ironic given my profession...). However, I thought it would be fair to share my thoughts.

I've sort of recently arrived at this answer after my time with my current instructor who gave up wearing his rank 20 years ago (he was a rokudan at the time). Because of my experiences with him I have developed a more cynical view.

"What does having a blackbelt mean?"

Absolutely nothing.

*If you're curious, I am (was) a shodan.*

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com

"What does having a blackbelt mean?"

Absolutely nothing.

*If you're curious, I am (was) a shodan.*

:lol: :lol: Now I understand the meaning of your name. :lol: :lol: