• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What having a black belt means

What is your personal opinion on what having a black belt means? How long do you think a person should study before becoming one?

- I think having a black belt demonstrates having a good understanding of basics.

- I think one should train for 3-5 years before becoming a black belt. Someone I know can get a black belt in another year, having trained for 1 year. I don't think 2 years is enough.

What do you think?

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is your personal opinion on what having a black belt means? How long do you think a person should study before becoming one?

- I think having a black belt demonstrates having a good understanding of basics.

- I think one should train for 3-5 years before becoming a black belt. Someone I know can get a black belt in another year, having trained for 1 year. I don't think 2 years is enough.

What do you think?

Your mileage may vary. Some people who really learn and soak up well, as well as practice every day could be ready in a year. Others may need to work for 3 or 4 years to achieve the same level of competency. If you could spend 4 hours a day, 5 days a week, that's about 1000 hours in a year. I think an average blackbelt probably has about 6-700 hours under his belt (No pun intended. :D)

To me, having a black belt means that I understand the basic core concepts, and am ready to expand my knowledge in the art. It's like getting a college degree, once you have it, you are ready to start really learning your career.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

I wish i could comment on this thread about a black belt but I feel that I am to new to Karate to give a real heartfilled thought to it with such little experiance.

white belt w/stripe (9th gup) SBD

Orange belt TKD

depends on the person and the instructor. I have seen people that after a couple years are getting very close to being what I would consider a bb level and others that have had that level for years but could be beaten by a skilled beginner. If you need a good idea of what it means to have a BB see my post signature.

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.

I agree with Aodhan, the time it takes to obtain one may vary.

If the person is highly skilled and actually puts the time in, I wouldn't expect him/her to get the belt the same time as another student who joined the dojo at the same time, but only went to class once a week for say 3 years.

I honestly feel there's no rush. I'm confident with my current skill level, the belt being a bonus to what I feel I've achieved. I could have the skills of a blackbelt but not have any interest for testing for my blackbelt. I know what my skill level is, regardless of what belt I wear inside the dojo.

"Beware the fury of a patient man."

- John Dryden

i dont know exactly what it means, im not a black belt.

let me go about what i think it should represent:

- you've mastered the basics. notice i didnt say "learned" but "mastered".

- you can apply these basics in a fight, real life situation or sparring sessions. you can apply them correctly and get results. Not that a bb means you win everything but i thing you should be able to give a good fight to at least people of your size.

- you can correct people of lower grades. not necessarily teach, but you can be an assistant for example.

- you learned all the values your institution promotes (respect, perseverance...etc)

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence thus, is not an act, but a habit. --- Aristotle

I'd have to agree with most of what's been said above.. (1 year?? that sounds like a very short amount of time; but if you're working on it literally every day for hours on end... I guess you never know)

I heard my sensei mention this once about becoming a black belt, and I kind of like it : "Once you get a black belt, congratulations! Now you're ready to learn." ;)

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

It's like getting a college degree, once you have it, you are ready to start really learning your career.

Aodhan

Great metaphor; I'd like to expand on it a little. There are colleges of varying degree. To earn a degree at a community college is easier and takes less time than it would at a larger, more prestigious university. Also, Instructors vary. One person might train regularly for a year to obtain the same rank as someone at a different Dojo that trains intensely for three years. The standards are different, but in the end, we all gaze at the same moon (or however that goes).

I like the college / uni analogy, all i would say is there is more than just a physicaly side to being a black belt, so there is necessary levelof maturity that goes with it...

time wise - 3-5 years would be reasonable.