• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pressure Points and Karate

mary_jane

Firstly, what is the definition of a pressure point? Secondly, are their ridgid requirements for places that could be called pressure points or can it be virtually any point on the body? Is there a set number of pressure point on the human body? If pressure points are an effective way of causing an opponent pain, then why are they not used more outside of self-defense? Thank you!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any place that a nerve pass over a bone is come close to the surface is a pressure point or it could be a place that several nerves passing over each others. when you hit them hard you are disturbing the Qi flow(electical signals through nerves) to that area. these pressure points are mostly same as acupuncture points.

you can't hit them effectively in a fight unless you are a master in pressure point fighting, it works when somebody standing there but in a fight you don't have time for that, some of them are easy to find on the face, on the body you should have some refrence point like elbow or solar pleux then generate a virtual mesh on the body in 4"-5" intervals.

In the books I have gotten about karate and kyokushin karate I have found that none of them talk about pressure points. Furthermore, that none of them have "charts" for pressure points laying out the most common and effective. The books that I have gotten are older books as well, are pressure points a newer thing and is that why my books do not speak of them? In Sosai Mas Oyama's books there is no mention of pressure points. Thank you for your information!!!

No, pressure points are not a newer thing. They've been used in Chinese medicine for thousands of years. Different karate styles approach the idea of pressure points differently. Some styles don't focus or recognize them at all, instead believing that if you perform the technique correctly they will naturally strike the appropriate targets and activate the appropriate points. Other styles only teach pressure points at more advanced levels because it is necessary to be proficient at the techniques you would use to activate them before learning the theory. Theory isn't any good unless you are proficient at it's application. Knowing targets does you no good if you don't know how to strike properly.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

It takes years and years to be good enough to use pressure point fighting in self defense. I think the only one really used is the solar plexus.

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

I think techniques should be structured so they will work well without pressure points, but have enough leeway to take advantage of them. In other words, even if you mess up the pressure point part, in the worst case, you shouldn't be vulnerable and in the best case, they should still be completely incapacitated or under your control.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Do the technique to whallop them. If you can hit a spot that knocks the wind out of them, numbs their arm, or some such thing, then bonus! but don't think you're going to be a supreme master of mayhem just because you memorized an anatomy textbook.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Pressure point fighting is what Karate is really all about. It’s a secret that Okinawan and Chinese masters don’t open up about much. They like to keep it in the family or teach it to only there most senor students.

George Dillman has opened the world of pressure point fighting to the western world. He has written a number of books and has many videos on this subject. You can find out more by going to his web sight. https://www.dillman.com

There is another great book called; The Encyclopedia of Dim-Mak by Earl Montaigue.And yes it takes years to master. That’s why they say karate is a life long study. It’s good to see that there are some open minds on this site.

:) :) :) :)

More Practice

^^^ um... sorry but, I don't believe Karate is about pressure points... I think you're mistaken my friend

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.