• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Passing of the torch

I just returned form a WTF / USTU style tournament. I'm in the 'over 35' division and lately there's not many competitors. So today, before registering and paying the fee, I asked if there would be a division for me. They told me that there was one other person, six years younger than me. So I registered so he would have someone to compete with. We actually had three in the forms division, and I placed first. Then no one wanted to spar. Boy was I PO'd! Had I known that I wouldn't have shelled out my money.

So my 17-year-old son suggested that I go ask if I could do an exhibition match. I asked him "but who with?" He said "with me". So I asked and they approved it. My son had gone only to be a spectator so he had to borrow a uniform and pads. The tournament organizers made a big announcement about our match, father vs son. It got everybody cheering, especially for my son. We fought two rounds of continuos sparring. It ended up a tie so the center ref had to make the decision. My son got the win.

I think I've just handed over the torch!

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That's awesome! Might be the best MA story I've ever heard. I hope my kids kids will feel the same as your son. That's still a looong way down the road of course. =;-}

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

I don't know the rules that you go by in yoru tournaments, but isn't it possible, if there's no one to compete with in your division, to go to a younger division and compete with them?

In the open tournaments I judge/ref, competitors that don't have enough other competitors inb their division to make it worthwhile are allowed to go up to the next higher division if they so chose, or in the case of more "seasoned" blackbelts, can go down to a younger division.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Shorinryu Sensei wrote:

or in the case of more "seasoned" blackbelts, can go down to a younger division.

That's the problem, there was no adult division and I didn't feel right about competing in the 14 - 17 year old division. But my 17 year old son is the same BB rank as me so I really enjoyed banging it out with him. I'm still nursing the bruses! :)

I posted a photo of us sparring in the Photo Album section. He's in red, I'm in blue. I also have one of my daughter sparring.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

Excellent! :)

If you hadn't done the exibition match would the organisers have given you your money back or not?

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

If you hadn't done the exibition match would the organisers have given you your money back or not?

Nope, I had already done forms and won that division. Also, when my son beat me my 12 yo daughter asked them if they were going to give him a trophy and they said no since it was only an exhibition. So when my son came back from the dressing room I told him that he missed the awards presentation but I had his trophy. I gave him the one I won for forms and said that it was his sparring trophy.

Edited by Kicks

• 6 months later...

That's a neat story. I've been in the odd division where I was the only competitor too since I'm in the senior divisions too. In these cases, the judges automatically give you first place. Sometimes, they still make you do your form in order to give you your award!

Clint

Free Spirit Martial Arts Activewear

http://www.FreeSpiritActivewear.com

• 5 weeks later...

Good story...It turned out the way it should be. You are obviously proud of your son and his accomplishments.

Now...when's the rematch? :brow:

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.