• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am new

Learner

Hello, I am new to this site, new to martial arts, and willing to learn! I hope to learn behind the scene facts, and views people have on certain styles. 16 I am and I plan on gettin started right away. I have some basic knowledge of boxing but not much else. Swords and the mighty Bo are the only thing I have some real knowledge in, and I will do my best to answer any questions refering to those abilities. I have one important question for the experienced. Has anyone been in a fight and experience in martial arts actually keep the fight in your favor? I fear I may get in pushing match, and the next thing I know im laying on the ground bloody. Ex: your at school and you get in a flaring arguement, a circle of people forms, and suddenly he comes at you.. Can anything stop what is gonna happen? I want to know its actually worth taking up this class.. or should I simply hone my reflexes for the most part? Thank you for your time

Do not try to better someone else, instead, better your former self.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi and welcome to KF.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

um.. yeah, it works. Now mind you, I don't get in fights, because I am no longer in high school. I know that others I know have found them to be functional.

One young kid I know, I briefly taught how to do a basic vertical fist. He later got in a stupid and meaningless fight. One punch, fight over. He doesn't get in many dumb fights anymore. Other people in my family include my stepbrother, who used Judo to completely incapacitate an attacker (and he hasn't even trained in it in years), and another relative, if I recall correctly, pretty much made a fool out of some tough (who was upset about a girl and wanted to get even or something equally inane) with one or two moves out of Yang style Taiji. An old teacher of mine was in a fight or two with Capoeira - won.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia