• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've placed second in sparring every time, and first in kata every time except for once (when I had a sprained ankle)...but I *hate* competing. It scares me to death.

Parkerlineage

Are you scared with those results?

If I had this outcome I would do very many turnements. :)

Scared of what?

Scared of not to perform well or scared to be injured.

Since you mention also kata your fear is not to perform well I suppose.

I think that you should learn that even if you not perform 100% your standard turnement is always a good experience. Just don't be stress too much on the performance or the outcome. Think about it as a way to spar (or to compare) with people outside your school... do not think to the trophy.

This is my 2 eurocents anyhow.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you scared with those results?

If I had this outcome I would do very many turnements.

Scared of what?

Scared of not to perform well or scared to be injured.

I think italian_guy made some good points here. It got me wondering if you're confusing nerves, anxiety, or excitement with fear. I've been competing since 1997 and I still get butterflies in my stomach and my legs feel like lead before competition. I also just want to do well and not look foolish (which I have done!), but this is how you learn to deal with and perform under stress. It will carry over to your everyday life when you have to deal with stress and anxiety.

Keep competing, try to have fun, and learn from every expierence.

Good Luck!

ps. I'm supposed to compete this weekend, but often there isn't anyone in my division (35 and up). It's hard to get mentally prepared when there's a chance I won't even compete. :-?

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I tried, but I was still all panicked and so forth.

In any event, here are the results of my first tournament against the 'big boys'.

Kata: Took fourth, but should have had third - the guy who placed second did a kata that was FOUR LEVELS below mine. Oh, well.

Weapons: Took second, lost to a sixth degree black belt national champion. My scores: 9.98, 9.99, 9.98. His: 9.97, 9.98, 10.0 Not bad, eh?

Sparring: Took second, lost the fight for first (to a third degree black belt) by one point in over time. Darn. Got my nose broken in the fight for second. Still won. So ha.

So, I as nervous as heck, but didn't do half bad.

Thanks for your advice, anyway.

Peace;

Parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

CONGRATS!!!

Sounds like a very successful day...especially since it was your first tournament. My first tournament I placed 2nd in forms and 3rd in sparring, so you're off to a better start than me. It took me 6 years to win a National Championship, so hang in there!

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

Hello,

We mistakenly removed a post from this thread. You will find it below. I apologize for the confusion. Thanks.

I guess I'm afraid because I'm afraid of what everybody else is going to think about me if I lose. But, I guess that doesn't matter, does it? Physical injury is no prob...I've recieved many broken bones and such in class.

Exactly .. Same for me , i am never affraid from the fight itself , i don't give a dam if i got knocked down , but the idea of loosing scares me to death , what would my sensei say ??? what would my friends say ??

After wining the national championship 3 times , i became so affraid of loosing , but again , fear is vital :lol: .

Wasn't my first tournament...it was more of my...seventh...I think...but it was my first in the adult black belt division...everybody else was at least ten years older than me.

Thanks, all;

Parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

Well, I tried, but I was still all panicked and so forth.

Kata: Took fourth, but should have had third - the guy who placed second did a kata that was FOUR LEVELS below mine. Oh, well.

Weapons: Took second, lost to a sixth degree black belt national champion. My scores: 9.98, 9.99, 9.98. His: 9.97, 9.98, 10.0 Not bad, eh?

Sparring: Took second, lost the fight for first (to a third degree black belt) by one point in over time. Darn. Got my nose broken in the fight for second. Still won. So ha.

So, I as nervous as heck, but didn't do half bad.

Thanks for your advice, anyway.

Peace;

Parkerlineage

Very nice! As time goes by, you will learn to use that nervous energy for you. On the kata, even if he did a form that was 4 levels lower, if he does it extremely well, I wouldn't be surprised if it got a good score. When I'm judging, I will reward a simpler technique done flawlessly over a hard technique done in a mediocre fashion.

On the weapons, shouldn't those scores produce a tie? Or does the 10.0 merit the tiebreak?

In any case, well done!

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Way to go! This goes to show how your training shines through even though your nerves are trying to get in the way.

Every timely action will bring results ... Without difficulty. Every untimely endeavor will fail ... If the moment is premature or if the right moment is missed. - The Tree Poem