• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So, how old is everyone here?

Rockuman

I agree the child has put in a lot more time. But two classes a week? For two years? That doesn't sound like enough time to learn the very basics, much less a black belt. In my school, it takes at least three years, and the last, you have to work out twice a day six days a week.

I like the idea of a junior black belt for kids under sixteen. They may have put in the effort, but this would signify that they didn't do the same things as an adult. Then, when they turn sixteen, they can test for full.

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it's not the kid's fault that he can't do everything the adult can. If he could help it, that would be different, but that's like giving a woman a junior black belt because she can't do everything the male black belt can.

I'm sorry, I guess I misunderstood what you were saying. But still, if the adult and kid both put in an equal amount of training time, why does the kid get a belt that's worth less than the adult? It's wrong to short-change young people just because of their age. Just because the kid can't fight like the adult can, doesn't mean that he deserves less. After all, black belts hold up your pants.

DORKS HAVE MORE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Savvy?

You're right, the belt just holds the gi. So why should one belt be worth more than any other? They're not, at least to me. It's not the rank, or belt color, it's what's in your heart and mind.

Who says women can't do anything a man can? =;-} (This coming from a man) I've met plenty of women who are more than my match- through brains, talent, training, whatever. Doesn't bother me at all. Just makes me train all the harder. lol

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

KarateChick, I believe one reason they have such things as junior black belts is because they want to keep the kids humble, among other reasons of course.

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.

43!

8)

Ah same as me, unfortunately I will turn 44 in 10 days.

Dont think its a problem with kids getting black belths so long as they are physically competent.

One thing if i were examing at a grading with a kid i would expect the same physical level of skill as i would from an adult; it may not be their fault as a kid that they cannot catch on as quick or "remember their forms as well" but in the same breath neither is it mine....

I believe that especially black belt is representative of a certain level of skill, and not just the amount of blood and sweat you put it or your attitude.

I think ALL aspects are necessary, you should put all your effort in, but alsoyou should attain the physical skills necessary, and until you can for each belt level i would not award it.

Okay i may sound really harsh, but oh well. I mean no offence , the above is just my opinion.

The discussion of kids under 16 getting a black belt has been hammered out on other threads. I wouldn't be surprised if this discussion comes up several times a year.

However, I think the timing of this one is ironic. At the same time there is a discussion on this forum about the "myth of the black belt". In summary the discussion is about why people think that black belts have to be "super human beings". Many blame Hollywood for this stereotype and admit that black belts are just ordinary people who have reached a certain level in their training that they have grasped the basics of their art and ready to move on to higher learning. Yet, here in this discussion, we are saying that kids under 16 must be "super human beings" in order to earn a black belt. This supports the Hollywood myth.

KarateChick06 said:

But it's not the kid's fault that he can't do everything the adult can… Just because the kid can't fight like the adult can, doesn't mean that he deserves less.

Many kids can not only do everything an adult can, but can do them better. They just don't have the amount of power an adult has. But I bet pound for pound many kids have just as much power, if not more power, than many adults wearing black belts. This includes sparring; just this past weekend at a tournament I (4th degree) got beat by my son who only 2 weeks ago turned 17, and he's been a BB for years.

Anyway, back on topic. How old are you?

Edited by Kicks

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

...back on topic, I think we should include sexes also when stating our ages.... 17 male

Joshua Brehm

-When you're not practicing remember this; someone, somewhere, is practicing, and when you meet them, they will beat you.