• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Armchair Martial Artist

Another whimsical question:

I've reached a point where I realize that I conceptually know a lot of things. However, I find myself increasingly unable to physically do all the things that I've learned/heard/read/studied from various MA instructors, books, and videos. While knowing is one thing, doing is something quite different. I find myself becoming an armchair martial artist, and it's quite frustrating. I train almost daily (though not recently because of a woman and the end of the semester crunch). Anyone else find themselves in this quagmire, and if so, how do you get out? Should I just in Masutatsu Oyama fashion train harder?

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yes, or you may have just hit a bump in your training and need to get over it, also dont give up on your reading it really helps in the long run.

PS. if you plan to train at all do all your workouts as hard as you phisicly can.

AMITABHA

Fist visible Strike invisible

I agree. I have had a hip problem. I KNOW I can do high kicks, ect, but at the moment , I can't (left side). It is a bummer. BUT like Muaythaiboxer said, train as hard as you can. That's what matters.

Laurie F

This happens to me all the time... since I'm not very athletic, I have only a limited time to train ( 7 hrs a week I'm doing now and this is my possible maximum), and not very young (almost 44); and sometimes I'm unhappy with my own performance. My opinion is that on one hand we should continue to train hard and on the other hand we need to have patience. In the past I saw that sometimes results come gradually but most of the time they come suddently. Things just suddently turn-on at a certain moment.

Just my two eurocents.

I would suggest that 'knowledge is power' but too much knowledge is a 'disability'.

That is:

It is better to have the ABILILTY to implement a limited number of techniques instantly and WITHOUT THOUGHT than it is to spend dangerous seconds deciding upon which technique is to be used (particularly when that technique is unpractised and uncertain of success).

I was a victim of IVS 'instructional video syndrome' in the past. The answer is simple: only watch enough material that you can then realistically train and put into practise.

-V-

More than 200 pictures of Kyokushin technique.

Kata outlined step by step.

https://www.kyokushinbudokai.org (Homepage)

Diary of a Full Contact Martial Artist (Diary)

Well, since I know Skeptic2004 personally, I'm pretty sure he isn't talking about physical inability in terms of his body not being strong enough.

I personally suffer from the same malady. My brain knows more concepts than my body, which is simply not accustomed to implementing them with the skill and finesse that I academically understand can and should be achieved. However, it's simply a matter of time, dedication and patience. Personally, I think it's a good thing to have, because it means you know where to go, you just have to get there. I feel a good many people have no idea where they are going or how to get there...

Somewhat related to this matter, I'm always an advocate of train smarter, not harder. Training hard is necessary to gain anything, but simple physical exhaustion will never be a measure of how practical and useful your training is. I know (hope) most people aren't advocating this, and I know (hope) people won't say I eschew all physical training altogether (the truth is quite to the contrary and anyone who knows me knows this). I'm merely saying tiring out the body should never be an indicator of how useful your training is. It is merely a side effect of a lot of training, good or otherwise.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Sure, tiring yourself out just means you've worked out hard. Certainly it has benefits, but it doesn't mean you necessarily improved any of your techniques.

I'm starting to read more martial art material, but I just read it out of general interest and to gain general knowledge. I try to limit my martial art training to what I'm actually learning in my dojang. I think that if I keep the two separated in that way, I'll limit the information overload problem.

My brain knows more concepts than my body, which is simply not accustomed to implementing them with the skill and finesse that I academically understand can and should be achieved. However, it's simply a matter of time, dedication and patience. Personally, I think it's a good thing to have, because it means you know where to go, you just have to get there.

You know, I have to agree. After some thought, I realize that I've probably just hit a bad slump in my training. Being in this stink only just makes the Armchair Martial Artist Syndrome (I think I'll trademark this name...) more obvious. I suppose it's nice to have a place to vent, however. Thanks everyone for your input.

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com

The simple solution to this is to set a goal that inspires you to action.

People will always get off their butts and pay the price for something that inspires them

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing