• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Racism at the dojo

How about this idea? There is just one race. The human race. We can procreate with people of different skin color. I can accept a blood transfusion from someone of differinf skin color. A more appropriate term would be ethnicity. But I will grant Ethnicism sounds kind of dumb. And I get tired of being called WHITE. We are all shades of brown or some other color, but not WHITE. Paper is white. In the summer, I can become very dark, due to a little native american blood in my family line. People need to stop thinking in terms of color. Starting making up your mind on an individual basis. You might find you like more people than you thought. :)

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, just while we are on the subject, political correctness makes things worse. You are what you are and you should be proud of what you are.

I heard a story about an Aikido dojo in NY, a Muslim guy came to learn, but he would not bow to the Ki sign, the picture of O Sensei Ueshiba (Which is common practice in Aikido) and he would not bow to women. Regardless of his beliefs, he should also respect that of Aikido. The Sensei at this club refused to teach him. :(

Take Care.

• 2 weeks later...

racism is 1 of the things i will not tolirate.

people r people and dickheads r dickheads it dont matter what there skin couler is.

1 thing i hav noticed is how meny people dont think of them selfs as racist but say things like "those bloody pak***" and the clasic "im not rasised but" and go on 2 spout a lode of racised crap.

its amazing how much racist tention there is just below the serfice. and how quickly people back trak when confrunted with there own racism

A reflection upon a pool of water does not reveal its deapth

• 3 weeks later...

Since most training halls are societies, to ask if societies discriminate would be a rhetorical one at best...

One thing I have done, based on some unfortunate instances when I taught in a racially diverse area, is to drop the term master. Several black youths dramatically informed me of what they thought of "white masters."

Also, it's more like the style of my mentors. White uniforms. Plain black belts. The humility thing.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

How about this idea? There is just one race. The human race. We can procreate with people of different skin color. I can accept a blood transfusion from someone of differinf skin color. A more appropriate term would be ethnicity. But I will grant Ethnicism sounds kind of dumb. And I get tired of being called WHITE. We are all shades of brown or some other color, but not WHITE. Paper is white. In the summer, I can become very dark, due to a little native american blood in my family line. People need to stop thinking in terms of color. Starting making up your mind on an individual basis. You might find you like more people than you thought. :)

I saw a recently published article in which dna differences and similarities among peoples were not at all tied to skin color. I'll have to think about where I read it, but it goes to your point.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

• 1 month later...

AMEN Ken!!

"We are all colored people living in a colored world-and they call us the HUMAN RACE."

DCTalk

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• 3 weeks later...