• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is BJJ a good desicion for a martial art???

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the power kickers come from mauy thai/kick boxing back ground.

gracie in action shows a fight with a young gracie doing sort of a chalanged street fight on a guy and winning. Other video's are out on the net of the same. I am sure some on on this thread is familiuar watching brazilian surfer in hawaii throwing down on the beach with some one else.

If you don't know the ground or how to keep some one from taking you there. (theory don't count) application (credibly testing said theory) does!

Judo has good take downs with the gi as far as not using a gi I am not familiuar with there take down ability. wrestling has great take down ability and stopping take downs. alot of fighters are now using wresltling as a key to either do take downs to work there bjj training or strikers using wrestling sprawls and keeping an oppoent from taking them down to stand up and bang with them.

bjj/sambo/wrestling/boxing/judo/muaythai/kick boxing is main styles practiced for MMA.

I enjoy those type's of art because mma is a good source to test them out safely comapred to just street fights. If you aren't testing the moves consitanly with resitence from a partner who is trying to take it to you also. All you have is theory. granted a fighter who comes from mma and does the self defense moves of eye gouging and other styles I think has a higher percentage of making them work. he is used to the timing/distance and applying moves on a non resitant oppoent as opposed to some one who does them on a compliant oppoent who doesn't offer resitance or countering the moves being applied on them.

just My opinion

If you want to be good at grappling then yes you shoudl do BJJ...

Is there anything better? Escrima is better than BJJ at knife fighting, Muay thai is better than BJJ with kicks, Judo and wrestling have better takedown then BJJ..Depends on what you are looking for?

Are there any styles that are better on the groung? proabably not.

I have never heard of the martial art of Escrima(apparently knife fighting) can anyone elaborate on it?

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

Speaking of practicing properly I went to a BJJ place and they were punching and kneeing the other guy for endurance training. I mean one guy is on top of the other and he beats his head into the ground...is that what they really do? Is it even legal?

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

depends on the place. some instructors go over board with training.

some places I see uses slaps instead of full out hititng them unless some of the guys have an mma fight coming up. but usually it starts off with slaps and this is later in training after the bjj practioner develops his positions and his ablity to escape and maintain diffrent dominat body postions. slaps were designed so the get used to something coming at there face and protect them selves while still controling the oppoent to escape.

later on as the develop in there training some punches are thrown as well, but if your pounding aperson whats the point? training is for learning not to get pointlessly beat up. training should fortify the body and mind not tear it down.

I seen other schools and styles of martial arts were its just a beat down clinic. I don't see the point in that for learning unless its later on in training and you developed your self to get out of the way of the punches and train full contact to see where your at in your training. see how solid your defense is and then you know what you need to work on. even full contact training should be in some control.