• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is BJJ a good desicion for a martial art???

Taking a fight to the ground also means that while you are tying the bad guy up for a submission hold, you may suddenly feel 6 inches of steel going into your kidneys :o

The LAST thing you want to do in the rela world is go to the ground. As has been mentioned before, the possibility of multiple attackers, but also if you take a guy to the ground holding a knife, it can be suicide. The idea of taking a angry, drunk relative ( or enemy) to the ground "untill he calms down" isn't realistic. Think of it this way, you get into an altercation, you take the bad guy to the ground, now, you have 3 possible things that can happen:

1: The bad guy does calm down (This however is unlikely)

2: he gives up, only to re attack you again once you let him up, only more angry and more cautious to avoid being taken down a second time

3: You take him to the ground, realize that as soon as you let him go, that u will be re-attacked, so you dislocate or break something to ensure he can't. Problem with this is, if he is already submitted, and you go ahead and damnage him, you are going to jail. There will more thna likely be witnesses that will attest to the fact that: "OH yes officer, he was down, he said he gives up and mister BJJ went ahead and snapped his arm."

Choking him out or strangling him out may be better, however, if the guy would realize you are trying to chock him into unconciousness, it gives him more legal wiggle room for whittling your ribs with his pocket knife.

Since choking or strangling someone has the potential to kill them, all they need to do is convince at least one juror that he was in fear for his life and he will walk.

I don't know how many people here are familiar with court proceedings, lawyers, judges, jurys, etc. But I cna here it now, you being in court and the guy who stabbed you has his lawyer grilling you.

"So Mr. BJJ you did attempt to put my client in a strangle hold?"

"yes, I was defending myself."

"but he was on the ground, yet he still was enough of a threat to justify a choke?"

"um"

"Choking or strangling has the potential to cause death or possible brain damage does it not"

"well, yeah, but...."

"Sir, if someone was literally cutting off your air supply, would you do anything possible to get this guy off of you?"

You see where I am going with this I hope. Going to the ground is always a bad idea. in a ring sure it's great, on the street, bad news.

You made some great points and some rather weak points. You will absolutely be in trouble if you do a choke on the street unless you have a few witnesses to back up your version of the events, but pummeling them into submission isn't exactly helpful either. Grapplers are at a paticular disadvantage when it comes to self defense because they have the ability to inflict great bodily harm very quickly to an opponent. But as a grappler you also have pins and compliance locks in your arsenal do you not? If you don't know compliance holds then you should know that you don't exactly HAVE to break the joint when applying an armbar or shoulder lock do you? And if you are involved in an altercation with an angry relative and it gets out of hand then choking them out isn't any worse of an idea then say, punching and kicking them right?

In my experience knowledge of grappling has saved my butt on more then one occasion. It's helped me to avoid being taken to the ground, it's helped me to fall properly when I have been taken down, it's helped me throw someone to the ground hard enough to make them think twice about continuing to fight, and it's helped me to avoid being beaten to death in a small riot.

But if the topic is about bjj in paticular and not grappling in general then I can see your point. If you train to fight primarily for the ground you will instinctively want to take every altercation to the ground since that is how you train. As a judoka I have a few more options then a bjj guy does so maybe this doesn't apply to me in paticular.

I'm only going to ask you once...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it depends on your age, because bjj is not a little kids' hobby. It has very cruel locks and may not be good for small kids

What hurts you but doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

it depends on your age, because bjj is not a little kids' hobby. It has very cruel locks and may not be good for small kids

You dont have to teach them all of the submissions or any. Just teaching them escapes, reversals, takedowns, and positional control and domination will be enough for most school yard altercations.

The thing is that BJJ is groundfighting and not a complete system. So if someone on the street really knows how to fight and all you know is BJJ, well good luck. .

You know that's been tried out before, right? What was the name of that...?

O.K?

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• 4 weeks later...

Brazilian jiu jitsu is a very efficient martial art..this martial art has became very popular because of Royce Gracie...he is the winner of 3 UFC tournaments..the only who beat Royce in mma fight was Sakuraba...

BJJ is a real fighting art, adapted on real fights..bjj is a good way to complete your martial arts trainnings..if your are a striker,bjj is a good way to improve your skills in grappling. I appreciate them very much.

"One becomes a beginner after one thousand days of training and an expert after ten thousand days of practice."(Mas Oyama)

"Water can support a ship and water can also sink a ship."(Old Chinese proverb)

lol.... i think after all this time... we can all stand up and honestly say that it may or may not be abad or good idea to reamin standing / go to the ground in a street fight as 80/20/10/x % of all streetfights remain standing / go to ground..... lol

It all depends on wehre you have the advantage as to where you want it to go.....

If you know what to do on the ground then try to take it to the ground if you dont you should still learn about the ground game so that you can survive if you are taken down :wink:

"Without Jiu Jitsu its like without my two legs."

-Rickson Gracie

https://www.myspace.com/cobraguard

The thing is that BJJ is groundfighting and not a complete system. So if someone on the street really knows how to fight and all you know is BJJ, well good luck. .

You know that's been tried out before, right? What was the name of that...?

Haven't heard of anything of the sort. The street was specifically mentioned, so that rules out artificial sport venues. And plus, while the Gracies may have been winning lots of mattches, I remember reading a statistical analysis that showed that if you were mainly a BJJ practitioner and your last name was not Gracie, you were at a disadvantage in MMA competitions on any given year - non-Gracie BJJ stylists were never able to achieve a 50% win ratio. A few years old, but since that time, the Gracies have been hammered flat in various matches, high kicks and traditional Karate technique have re-emerged in MMA competition, and more.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I remember reading a statistical analysis that showed that if you were mainly a BJJ practitioner and your last name was not Gracie, you were at a disadvantage in MMA competitions on any given year - non-Gracie BJJ stylists were never able to achieve a 50% win ratio.

I could name 20 non gracie BJJ practicioners of the top of my head that have over a 50% win ratio...BJ Penn...Nogiera...Mir...Arona...any of those top ranked world class BJJ fighters ring a bell? most of those guys proabably have over a 90% win ratio...check your facts.

high kicks and traditional Karate technique have re-emerged in MMA competition, and more.

what traditonal karate techniqus have emerged in mma?