• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question for the Girls: Training and your 'Monthlies'

I do karate, but find that when I have my time of the month I don't even bother going to class because white trousers are not a good idea at that time!

I'm wondering what all your girls do to cope with it?

What's more, I'm looking into trying the Mooncup. Has anyone here tried it and does it manage not to leak when you're constantly kicking?

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mooncup? What is that? LOL

I'm like you, I don't train on my "monthly." It's too risky with a white uniform. BUT if I know we are just doing forms, I will train. We have a schedule that says what we will be doing, so I can pretty much plan if I train or not when my "monthly friend" arrives LOL.

Laurie F

Im a guy lol but here is a tip I guess lol

When I was in college I trained in a school were all guys had white Gi's and girls all had black. I asked my sensei one day why he did that. Thinking there was some super secret reason behind it. But the answer he gave me was what your talking about. Made sense to me but a lot of young kids (boys) wanted black gi's and we were like no you can only have one if your a girl lol

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I’m a guy and I have seen a few “leaks” and when I did I was mortified. I did not know what to do or say. In retrospect I wish I could have been more mature and able to say something tactful to the ladies.

Once I was grappling with a lady who had just had a baby and she advised me about another problem called “bladder control”. Now that I have kids of my own, I know what she was talking about. My wife does not like to run nor do jumping jacks right now LOL.

In conclusion I will say this; if a female comes to me in class and says “sensei I can’t do that exercise today” or “I can’t spar today” I will just say “OK no problem, go practice kata”

So I believe a good policy would be “no questions asked”

I have never missed class because of my monthly friend. Tampons are a great invention, accidents are something very rare among the women of the school, and very discreet. If it does happen, no one else is going to know about it. Our instructor is very understanding of everything after raising a young daughter.

Also, it would be very difficult for the women at our school to miss class every month, and your road would be very long since part of qualification for promotion is attendance. More common than menstrual problems are those said by JJ, bladder problems with jumping jacks and other exercises.

I never let it "cramp" my style! In fact, exercise actually helps. As for leaks,no problem...use a menstrual cup or super tampon and wear a pad.

:wink:

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/