• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

3 day workout - Which muscles to work on each day?

BritNoob

Tom Kurz in his book has a workout plan that covers 4 days with each group being worked twice. Every basic plan i have ever studied including in high school and college weight rooms has been based on a 2-3 day cycle.

Long Live the Fighters!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've started to add single arm rows to my workout, what do they work and are there any other back exercises I can do with dumbells?

Are shrugs worth doing? I want to try and build some muscle around the neck/collarbone area, will this do?

Keep the help coming, lads, very helpful!

Bent over rows work your lats mostly... plus maybe your forarms and shoulders a little bit. There is another back exercise you can do with dumbbells im not sure of the name but you hang your arm down while bent over then lift the weight straight to the side. That will work the muscles between the shoulder blades. Then there is one called a good morning...which i think is basically just standing straight up then bending forward at the hips and then straightening again. Remember to be careful with your back. Shrugs will build your traps. thos are the muscles that run between your shoulders on the back of your neck. Not sure anything will increase whats in your collarbone area. Just excercises for pecs and delts.

Long Live the Fighters!

this is my workout (M-W-F), other days are rest days.

1 Bent Knee Situps 30 30

2 Bench Press 12/10/8 20/15

3 Incline Dumbells 12/10/8 20/15

4 Chest Flys 12/10/8 20/15

5 Upright Row 12/10/8 20/15

6 Seated Palm Out

Dumbell Press 12/10/8 20/15

7 Lat Pulldowns 12/10/8 20/15

8 Shrugs 10/10 10/10

9 Lateral Raises 10/10 10/10

10 Dips 10/10 10/10

11 Tricep Press To Forehead

/Rope press 12/10/8 20/15

12 Standing Bicep Curls 10/10/8 20/15

13 Leg Press 10/10/8 20/15

14 Leg Extension 10/10/8 20/15

15 Leg Curls 10/10/8 20/15

16 Calf Raises 10/10/10 20/20

Abdominal Workout

1 Overbench Sit Ups 30

2 Dumbell Bend to

Opposite Foot (15 - 50) 30

3 Seated Flat Bench

Leg Pull In (15 - 50) 30

4 Dumbell Side Bend

(25-50) 35

5 Jackknife Sit-Up (5-50) 20

6 Dip Stand Leg Raise (5-30) 15

The workout is broken into 6 weeks, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, etc periods. The first set of numbers (12/10/8 ) are for strength. That is the first 6 weeks. The next 3 weeks are the second set of number (20/15) are muscle endurance workouts. Keep cycling the periods and it will help keep you from plateuing (sp). The ab workout never changes. It takes me about 2 hours to do this workout.

It's obviously a full body workout for each day. You have to in ok shape to do all of this on one day. There is a rest day in the middle of each. I would recommend doing your skill training before you do weights, but opinions will vary. I practice MA / stretching in the morning (following the kurtz book stretching scientifically) for 1 to 1.5 hours, Weight training in the afternoon during lunch (health club where I work) for 2 hours, and dynamic/relaxed stretching in the evening for about 45 minutes. Class days on Tues/Thursday.

Been doing this for about a year now. I'm in better shape at 30 than I was at 20. The exercises come from "Getting Stronger" by Bill Pearl. The section on "All-Around Athlete" training. I recommend this book and the Kurtz book "Stretching Scientifically".

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilites, but in the expert's there are few."

Thanks for sharing your workout, very interesting.

I tend to only be able to spend an hour or so in the gym and I was also told that as a hard gaining ectomorph (I think?) it's best to keep the workouts short and intensive.

I like the idea of mixing it up every few weeks to keep the muscles from hitting a plateau (lol sp again). Do you just do 2 high rep low weight sets during this period then?

• 2 weeks later...

I workout 3 times a week now Mon, Thurs and Sat.

Usually I do:

Incline Dumbell bench press 4 sets

Arnold presses or military press 4 sets

Lateral raises 4 sets

Rear raises 2/3 sets

Bicep curls or hammer curls 4 sets

Leg press 4 sets

leg extension 4 sets

Shrugs 4 sets

Back rows 3 sets

I want to add a workout inbetween maybe on a wednesday or friday, what could i work on if i have done these exercises the day before? I only have an hour or so to workout so as I am learning new exercises I am finding it difficult to fit them all in. Something needs to give....