• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is it disrespectful for having one or more senseis?

Wow, a lot of "respect your Sensei" responses. At the risk of creating discord, here is my take.

First off, let me say I will never have to deal with this problem. Kuntao is a constantly changing art, and my teachers would be interested in any cross-training I had, especially useful techniques they didn't know. That being said, I think openness is always the best policy in any relationship you have, whether it is teacher-student or husband-wife. I would inform my teacher of my intentions before ever even looking for another class. So my advice is that you ask your teacher. Tell him or her what you are planning, and get their honest opinion. If they get mad, they probably aren't the greatest teacher for you to be studying under. If they give valid reasons for not wanting you to cross-train, then listen carefully to them.

However, I am also aware my school is very small and strange. In fact, you can't even find it unless you just happen to wander in or already know someone who studies there. My teacher consistantly tells us that he thinks of himself as more of a player coach than as a traditional martial arts teacher. While I do respect him, it is not just because of the traditional role of the martial arts teacher. It is because he is such a good teacher, and just a cool guy.

Finally, just let me say this: do what feels right for you. None of us is in your situation, so we don't know the full story.

36 styles of danger

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're sensei feels that you are disrespecting him just by training in a different style, then it sounds a little like (s)he's trying to control you. You pay them to teach you, you should be able to do other things, too. After all, in school you have different teachers, right? Why should MA be any different.

You don't worry about making your math teacher mad when you go science class, do you?

Edit: Or just read fallen_milkman's post. :D

You don't worry about making your math teacher mad when you go science class, do you?
Yeah, but generally, science classes won't make you do your math wrong and tend to badmouth your math teacher about how ignorant he is for thinking that 10-2=8 and not 7 like they teach in science class.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Yeah, but generally, science classes won't make you do your math wrong and tend to badmouth your math teacher about how ignorant he is for thinking that 10-2=8 and not 7 like they teach in science class.

Just don't worry about what they say about each other make your own judgement and if they are both good, and you like both art then cross-train unless they make your life impossible, only in this case you must choose and (if both are at the same level and you like both arts the same way) is better to discart the one with the biggest mouth. :)

No, but it can and sometimes does, and I don't feel surprised that some teachers would be edgy at best over the topic, likely as a result. I have a hard enough time keeping people from turning their toes out in ginga without having another teacher harping at them to turn their toes out for a back or bow stance.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I wanted to know if it is disrespectful for having one or more senseis. I have been doing Goju Ryu Karate since i was seven or eight years old. Am now seventeen and wanted to try a new style which is Taekwondo, but I was wondering if I tried this new style would I be disrespecting my sensei that I knew since I was a kid. What should I do in this situation? :-?

Your Sensei does not control your life. You can train where ever you want - plus you are paying him money to train you so he shouldn't be telling you what to do outside of the dojo.

I do not think it would be disrespectful b/c you are just exploring other karate classes. I think the only way for that to be disrespectful if you quit ur other karate class, then yes it would be.

Determination + Disciplin + Strength - Fear = ONE BLACK BELT! Do the Math!

join this site!!

http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=senterforge

I do not think it would be disrespectful b/c you are just exploring other karate classes. I think the only way for that to be disrespectful if you quit ur other karate class, then yes it would be.

I don't think that even that is disrespectful. If you have problems in your school and you can't solve them you have the right to leave, life is yours and you are paying for your lessons.