• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is it disrespectful for having one or more senseis?

If your teacher thinks it is disrespectful, it is. If not, it isn't. But if you come into class saying "Well in my other class, we do it like -this-.." and looking down your nose at how one or the other art does things, that's some serious disrespect there. I've seen all three.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Choy Lay Fut, the kung fu I know, is a mixture of 3 styles, 2 Southern and 1 Northern (I think), and it was made by 2 people. Chan Heung and Hung-Sing Jeung were co-founders.

So yes, but besure to master your own style first. With 10 years of experience, I think you're ready.

I don't think it is disrespectful, but our opinions don't really matter here, it's up to your current Sensei. I wanted to start up training in Shaolin Kung-Fu one, and I asked the instructor if I had to quit Kempo, he told me it would be disrespectful not to, and my Kempo instructor said it would be fine to cross-train a little bit. So, as you could see, it defers from instructor to instuctor.

If you do end up cross-training, don't say something along the lines of "we do it differantly...."

"To win a fight without fighting, that is the true goal of a martial artist."

-Grandmaster Nick Cerio

I agree that it is up to your current Sensei. I can see how an instructor could be offended or wary, especially if you intend on training in another style. For instance, a relatively experienced student could pass on what he has learned in the one style to those practicing the other styles, and some of these things may have been well gaurded. Then there is always the chance of betrayal if the student lacks honor and loyalty. Your Sensei might also fear for your safety and might not believe that the new training hall is suitable for you, or he might believe that you are not ready to cross train yet.

So if your Sensei allows you to cross train, take the opportunity but ALWAYS stay loyal to your Sensei and remember where you came from.

If your Sensei does not allow it, respect his wishes and remain loyal to him. He knows whats best for you, even if you don't :)

To condemn the art of another is to condemn your own as well. We all have the same origin.

Hello,

What I would do is ask your Sensei if he/she would feel disrespected if you wanted to try a new art, meaning you would have yet another Sensei. If he/she is a wise and fair Sensei, he/she should respect you wanting to expend your horizons. If he/she is close-minded then he/she will tell you it is disrespectful.

In my opinion it is not disrespectful. You are just trying to expand your horizons. There are many great martial artists out there that have studied under many Sensei in their time, in many arts.

Thanks

BJJShotoshe

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.

I am thinking about asking my teacher the same thing at the end of the month. (I'm going home for the summer.) I am sort of anxious about asking him. Good luck.

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."

Why do you need to tell your sensei that you want to crosstrain if you don't want to tell him? It's your life, you can do whatever you want with it. And if your sensei gets offended if he ever hears about it well I say he isn't a good sensei first of all and he only thinks for himself. If my sensei would ever get offended because I'd cross train I'd change dojos that's for sure. I say go for it and you don't need to tell him if you don't feel like it.

If you train under an instructor, you at least owe him an explanation for cross training. Anything else would show that you have no loyalty, and hiding your cross training would simply make you a coward. I'm sure you'll do the right thing however.

To condemn the art of another is to condemn your own as well. We all have the same origin.

I agree with GhostlySykanRyu, my teacher and my school is very big on honor. It would only be right for me to ask him if it was ok.

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."