• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wearing bag gloves

aefibird

Do you wear bag gloves when training with a heavy bag?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you wear bag gloves when training with a heavy bag?

• All the time
    • About 3/4 of the time
    • About 1/2 of the time
    • About 1/4 of the time
    • Never
    • Other

I wear bag gloves, no wraps, no 'boxing gloves'. I wear them because my bunch doesn't do 'toughening' work, and I don't need bloody knuckles all the time. Wearing the gloves also protects and preserves that expensive heavy bag.

Wado Ryu Karate Do - Nashville TN - USEWKF

Musabetsu Kakuto Ryu - Nerima, Tokyo, Japan - Tendo Dojo

"To Challenge Owner in Savage Combat, Use Rear Door"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

saotome kun, I see you are in nashville. it you and genma ever take a pilgrimmage to jussenkyo (memphis) we will have to meet up and train. :)

if you are a ranma fan, you get it... If not, ah well. If you're ever in the neighborhood though, shoot me a pm.

I don't box, I train in karate, so I'm prepping myself for an 'in case' and I'm not gonna have time to whip out my 180 inch wraps and brace up my wrists. I train for my purpose, not for boxing, so no gloves for me

right... so you do all of your techniques on your partners at full power unprotected, all the time, right? since, you ARE prepping for the street...

a boxer does both. Not only is he training for your possibility (a streetfight), he also trains for his own inevitability (his next ring fight). As I stated, I throw thousands of punches per week... Imagine what a high level boxer throws. when throwing such a high number of punches, wearing something to protect your hands is just common sense...

I've done both I used to box, though I admit not much. And now I exclusively train in karate, and to boot I've been in a few fights.

I spar with lower ranked students fully padded (hands, feet, and head-gear) for safety reasons, but whenever I spar someone my own rank/experience, I do enjoy sparing full force/speed bareknuckle. (minus head contact of course)

Now I don't throw so many punches on a bag anymore, I do knuckle push-ups and makiwara training for my hand conditioning, but still, wrapping your wrists or putting on gloves does not teach someone to be able to hit with a straight, solid wrist. Which is my main problem with wrapping my hands, I will however say that on a canvas bag I refuse to hit without gloves. But only hitting w/ gloves sets someone up for failure, just like not hitting someone or getting hit by someone sets them up for simillar failures.

But only hitting w/ gloves sets someone up for failure, just like not hitting someone or getting hit by someone sets them up for simillar failures.

Didnt you just say that you spar without head contact?? By your reasoning you are setting yourself up for failure by doing that.

Now I don't throw so many punches on a bag anymore

this is key. you have no need for wraps, and you admit that.

I do knuckle push-ups and makiwara training for my hand conditioning

you pointed out that punching with wraps will not teach you to keep a straight wrist. these methods will not either... and they are not supposed to. coaching, shadowboxing, kata, etc. are what teach you this, not various apparatus.

but still, wrapping your wrists or putting on gloves does not teach someone to be able to hit with a straight, solid wrist.

Which is my main problem with wrapping my hands, I will however say that on a canvas bag I refuse to hit without gloves. But only hitting w/ gloves sets someone up for failure, just like not hitting someone or getting hit by someone sets them up for simillar failures.

see above. When you throw 1,000 or more punches per day, you run a risk of throwing one improperly. And that one may be all you need to sprain your wrist, hand, etc. They are merely a safety precaution. If you don't know how to punch with a straight wrist, you should not be hitting a bag yet. and yes, you definitely need gloves on canvas, as you will tear your knuckles up if you don't wear them.