• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cycling drills???

people say cycling and swimming is the next best thing to running for stamina. i can't go on long runs as i have an old injury in my right shoulder. it really hurts when i run for a long time even when i was doing sprint intervals last night it started to hurt but i worked through it which was stupid because when i was finished i was hurting so much. so what sort of cycling drills could i do to help build stamina.

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Long distance steady state running is not exactly what a MA needs.

A MA needs explosive power. Its better to do shorter runs of aerobic work like steady state running and finish off with sprints, plyometrics etc.

These days my running never goes over 30 minutes and the rest of the morning hour I dedicate to this time, is doing sprinting and plyometric exercise to build anaerobic endurance.

If you cannot run, sure do exercycle work with an emphasis on speed. You can sprint on an exercycle.

Try plyometrics and include lots of burpees

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Get outside on your bike, go for an hour's ride on mixed terrain, and do a cycling "fartlek" (i.e. speedplay - sprinting and laying off as you feel like) - make sure you work going up the hills.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

Hmm I would say swimming is good, it makes your longs big.

But you have to swim crawl. I would say 3 times in a week 2-3km per training, Mostly you swim at 70% but a couple of times you go full.

I do swimming, running, cycling. But I believe swimming is better than running and swimming. With the condition you get with swimming, you can do the two others easly.

+ to never run longer than 30 minutes is not the best way to go, Sometimes you only run for 30 minutes/interval training. But it doesn't do any harm to run 16km or more.

i think going on long runs is good i go for about 45-60 mins when i can and my shoulder is not hurting. i think it should be done by every one. i get what people are saying with short sprints but i think its better to at those in at the end of your run. running has more benifits then swimming and cycling as it gives you a good cardio work out but with the impact of running it forces the body to strengthen its bones, ligaments and joints more then swimming and cycling do. running is not just about fitness but structural strength of the body.

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

I enjoy running and cycling. The nice thing is that cycling makes you running fit too, meaning that if you can cycle for long(ish) distances you will be able to run a few miles without hassle. It does however not worh the other way around.

Building stamina is great. What is the use of having "explosive power" if you can only give it for 2 minutes? I suggest that you cycle for long distances in the likes of 50 miles (80 km) or slightly less. 60km is great to start with (where 1.6km = 1mile). Don't forget the water and energy drink though ;-)

"You do not truly know someone until you fight him." - Seraph

"To be the best, you must be the best." - Me

• 2 weeks later...

Long running is not good for martial artists.

Fighting is anaerobic not aerobic. This is easily determined by the volumes of scientific analysis done on the body underload when fighting.

I can run a good time in a marathon but I never do it because that type of running teaches my muscles to work on slow twitch muscle fibers. Its fast twist a MA needs.

Many many years ago I used to go for very long runs, often 15 miles or so. Its great for aerobic endurance but doesnt help the needs for anaerobic endurance.

Evander Holyfield switched coaches and thus switched from aerobic running (he was training old school) to anaerobic work and as a consequence become the heavy weight champ.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing