• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Strenght training AND push ups

BORATZ

Weights will not necessarily help you build up to do 100 pushups.

I know guys that can bench press 300 lbs and yet they cannot do 100 pushups... why?

They are used to doing between 8 and 12 reps.

Pushups are also an endurance exercise.

100 pushups are a good goal but learn variable pushups. I feel the best pushups are the plyometric ones that you push yourself off the ground and land back down again. Thats power

bingo. there is a difference between a strength exercise and an endurance one. I can bench close to 300, but usually stop after 50 pushups.

Also, you don't want to do TOO many pushups - injuries happen that way. several people I know - including myself - have gotten rotator cuff injuries due to repettitive stress - too many pushups.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The same can be said for pushing too much weight . Any sort of over training can be dangerous . Espeacially if increases are done too rapidly. Increases in exercizes should be taken slowly .

We are not so much individual beings as individual points of perception within one immense being.

completely agree. given the limited number of sets people who push heavy weight typically do though, I'm betting you're more likely to get an overuse injury from pushups than weight training. More common in weight training would be a pull or tear from trying to push something heavier than you can handle.

Doing 100 plus pushups is a good goal. The best punchups in my opinion for the MA is plyometric kind, where you push your body right off the ground and land back down again. That takes explosive power.

As for injuries.... Not everybody gets injuries from high volumes of repetitious practice.

Its an individual thing.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing