• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The importance of a straight back in MA

dtstiachi

Straight back? This is the single worst thing you can do for your back. It's also a training misconception that is highly prevalent. The idea is to keep an ERECT POSTURE.

I can not emphesize this enough! The back is mechanically stronger with an arch in it and balance is much easier to maintain. Ever seen an Olympic weight lifter do a clean and jerk? I challenge you to find a world class lifter that lifts with a straight back.

Contact saveaback.com and ask them for rocemmnded books on this subject.

I guess the real misconception is in the semantics as I took "straight" and "erect" to mean the same thing. I will still maintain that correct posture and alignment, in any sport, is fundamental. No slouching please. :wink:

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to stand/sit TALL. When you try to sit or stand as tall as you can, your shoulders go proper and it takes a lot of stress off your back- I don't even know how a *straight* back would work..

You need to stand/sit TALL. When you try to sit or stand as tall as you can, your shoulders go proper and it takes a lot of stress off your back- I don't even know how a *straight* back would work..

Yea normally- but when fighting shrugging your shoulders is something you should always do.

Yea normally- but when fighting shrugging your shoulders is something you should always do.

Sorry, but thats totally wrong.

Your sloulders should always be relaxed and down. You will lose so much power and speed if theyre up.

Hand to hand, heart to heart

If you don't come, i will not start

But if you start, i will arive first

And hit you continuiously untill i see red.

Sorry, but thats totally wrong.

Your sloulders should always be relaxed and down. You will lose so much power and speed if theyre up.

No, not at all. I'm not trying to insult you, but you have been gravely misinformed. Back when I was young I had a kung fu instructor tell me the same thing, but it is entirely not true. Your power when you punch truly comes from your hips. That's why your leg muscles (which power your hips through the movement) are more important than any other muscle group when punching. (Next is the torso, then finally the chest and arms.) Boxers keep their hands up and shoulders shrugged for one main simple reason- defense. If you throw a quick punch or something and one is coming in, there are two scenerios: 1- your shoulders can be relaxed in which case your entire face and even neck is just hanging out there waiting to get punched; OR, 2- your shoulders are shrugged and half your face is covered by your shoulder, leaving about eye level up to get punched. Obviously, you're at a lot more risk with your shoulders down. And, again, to reiterate, you do NOT get more power with your shoulders down, in fact, if you know how to punch with your whole body, the opposite is probably true. It's not a matter of some styles punch one way and some punch another and they're all the same in the end... it's a matter of one way being more effective than the other. Take it from me, I've learned both ways.

Leaving your shoulders relaxed when fighting is the equivalent of shooting a machine gun from your hip.

I agree with what your saying and understand.

However, in my Kung Fu, most of our strikes require us to use our shoulders (and hips) in a twisting motion alot, and with our shoulders up, we lose alot of speed and power.

Also to the defence part, it makes sense. But again, in my experience (in my Kung Fu) where our hands are positioned easily defend the face and theres no need for our shoulders to be shrugged.

Ive tried having my shoulders up, i dont like it, i feel tense, slow and hindered.

So lets just say it works for some but it doesnt for others :)

Well, just because your shoulders are shrugged doesn't mean they'll be tense. They should be up, not pinched and flexed hard. As for your hands- I can garuntee you that unless you have unusually long arms they're not high enough, and the shoulders themselves are also supposed to help protect your head. It's just more protection. Also- yes hips and shoulders are where the power comes from, but the shoulders dont move independantly.

As for your hands- I can garuntee you that unless you have unusually long arms they're not high enough,

Why?