• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Book Suggestions

JimmyNewton

anyone have good suggestions on informative books to read.

I'd like to ad some texts other than bubishi on history, philosophies, bunkai, etc.

thanks

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For general strategy and as a cultural framework I suggest you the book of five rings. About history and bunkai this is quite style-dependent (I'm not doing your same style).

My sensei always carries a bag full of books, perhaps yours does the same?

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

i have bubishi and naginame's "the essence of Okinawan karate Do" on the way. I will read these first before I get overwhelemed. was wanting a good book on bunkai as well to use as a reference guide.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

"Living the Martial Way" by Forrest E. Morgan

"The Art of War" - Sun Tzu

"The Unfettered Mind" - Takuan Soho

"Tao Te Ching" - Lao Tzu

"Kodo: Ancient Ways" - Kensho Furuya

"Karate-Do: My Way of Life" - Gichin Funakoshi

"Traditions" - Dave Lowry

"The Martial Way and Its Virtues: Tao De Gung" - FJ Chu

"Zen in the Martial Arts" - Joe Hyams

"Be Like Water: Practical Wisdom from the Martial Arts" - Joseph Cardillo

"The Way and the Power: Secrets of Japanese Strategy" - Fredrick J. Lovret

"Beyond the Known: The Ultimate Goal of the Martial Arts" - Tri Thong Dang

"Toward the Unknown : Martial Artist, What Shall You Become" - Tri Thong Dang

That's all I can think of at the moment. In terms of bunkai, I happen to think you're better off learning it initially from an instructor, and by experimenting with what works for yourself....

Okinawa Island of Karate by George Alexander. He also published a translation of the Bubishi, which is a waste of $'s IMO, and a whole series of videotapes (don't waste your $'s on those either), but the first book I mentioned is great if you're an Okinawan stylist.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I've made this statement before, but I believe the best book on karate history that I feel anyone should read if they are seriously interested in learning the history behind karate (Okinawan and Japanese) is John Sells' Unante: The Secrets of Karate. It will tell you what is myth, what is recorded fact, and what is in between. It's the most extensive and comprehensive work of its kind in English. https://www.martialsource.com is where you can get it for $55 (I don't think you can get it elsewhere), but it is well worth the amount. Books on philosophy and things are good (I have most all of the books suggested above by others), but this will give you actual detailed histories of masters, styles, kata and other things. A MUST READ in my opinion.

And another book I like for its very interesting concepts and principles is The Secrets of Okinawan Karate by Kiyoshi Arakaki, which you can get off of Amazon.com or something. I've actually bought his two sequels (in Japanese), but I've yet to translate them. But, fear not, as this first book is in English and is a great book that deals with the technical aspects of karate. It isn't your run-of-the-mill karate technique book, as it has some techniques, but focuses more on emphasizing several biomechanical concepts and has an interesting theory on ki. This is another book I consider as highly valueable. Again, philosophy is good, and I read those books too. But for the technical part, I recommend this book.

Don't let the inclusion of the cheesy word "secrets" in the titles fool you. I feel these are the two best books I've read on karate (history and technical), and I've read quite a few.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Bunkai Jutsu, Karate's Grappling Methods and Throws For Strikers all by Ian Abernethy.

Karate Do Nyumon by Gichin Funakoshi. It's better than Karate Do Kyohan IMO.

The Essence of Okinawan Karate-do by Shoshin Nagamine.

Bushido: The Way of the Samurai by Tsunetomo Yamamoto

Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere: An Illustrated Introduction by Adele Westbrook & Oscar Ratti.

(Yes, I know that it's an Aikido book and that this is the Karate forum.. but it's a good book and is useful for anyone with even a passing interest in Aikido.)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!