• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Have you ever heard about a student failing a belt test?

Bleeding Lion

i failed 2 times before i passed my shodan test in kyokushin karate. due largely to the fact that i didn't break all 3 boards in the board braking part of my test.

now that i look back on that experience, i think my sensei was right in holding me back the first 2 times i tested. it forced me to dig deep within myself and give more when i didn't have anymore to give, a lesson imperative for any true fighter to learn.

Wisdom is knowledge rightly applied. To fight wisely is to rightly apply techniques.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only been practicing Okinawa-te Karate for a little under a year, and I recently passed the test to yellow belt (next belt above white). There was a lot of 'pre-testing' before hand, so everybody testing was proficient enough in skills. But here is my question on the topic: there is a specific section on our little test sheet that is basically your spirit, and your attitude. On that note, there was one person in the group that I feel doesn't deserve it. Before the test, DURING the test, even a month afterwards when learning new material, there never seems to be genuine heart involved. The movements are more like 'ungh!' then a strong 'KIAI!' This person is very weak in the class warm-ups, often not doing them at all, is still trying to learn how to position the foot properly when kicking (TRYING to hit the bag at all is another ordeal), is very sloppy on what little of the katas are remembered, sparring with them is a joke... yet was aloud to test, and awarded a belt. :o

Now, I've read all the comments, so I know things change from group to group, but has anyone had a similar experience? To be fair to this person, their attitude toward karate is a very positive one, so sometimes I think I'm expecting a great deal out of everyone else because I expect a great deal out of myself.

So, I ask again, has anyone had a similar experience? Or can I just chalk it up to the fact that it's only the yellow belt test, and the difficulty has yet to hit? :-?

In all honesty, I really think this person's mother is the one pushing it on to them, because she is a blue belt in the same dojo.

Anyway, look forward to hearing some thoughts on this...

I've only been practicing Okinawa-te Karate for a little under a year, and I recently passed the test to yellow belt (next belt above white). There was a lot of 'pre-testing' before hand, so everybody testing was proficient enough in skills. But here is my question on the topic: there is a specific section on our little test sheet that is basically your spirit, and your attitude. On that note, there was one person in the group that I feel doesn't deserve it. Before the test, DURING the test, even a month afterwards when learning new material, there never seems to be genuine heart involved. The movements are more like 'ungh!' then a strong 'KIAI!' This person is very weak in the class warm-ups, often not doing them at all, is still trying to learn how to position the foot properly when kicking (TRYING to hit the bag at all is another ordeal), is very sloppy on what little of the katas are remembered, sparring with them is a joke... yet was aloud to test, and awarded a belt. :o

Now, I've read all the comments, so I know things change from group to group, but has anyone had a similar experience? To be fair to this person, their attitude toward karate is a very positive one, so sometimes I think I'm expecting a great deal out of everyone else because I expect a great deal out of myself.

So, I ask again, has anyone had a similar experience? Or can I just chalk it up to the fact that it's only the yellow belt test, and the difficulty has yet to hit? :-?

In all honesty, I really think this person's mother is the one pushing it on to them, because she is a blue belt in the same dojo.

Anyway, look forward to hearing some thoughts on this...

Ive seen a litte girl who failed once but she got to test again during a normal class and passed. this was from 10th kyu to 9th.

Extraordinary abilities can only come from extraordinary effort

• 4 months later...

I failed my 1st gup/kyu test last July. I knew my stuff, but I didn't really "prepare" for the test. I knew I blew it in the first 1/2 hour of the test. I went "blank" on my forms, and I didn't "follow-through" on my breaks. And my techique went out the window for some odd reason.

BUT, the "up side" is that I still have all my classes in, and my other requirements ;) So, all I have to do is work my tail off on technique, and prepare for the re-test in Nov (and not having a brain freeze LOL).

Laurie F

I don't use the word fail, but when I test a student and find them unprepared and unworthy of the next rank, I end the test and tell them that they need to be tested later. A good instructor can tell halfway through the test if the student will pass or not, unless it is a blackbelt test, and unless he/she is a complete jerk with no regard for his/her student(s) they would probably stop the test before finishing and having to tell them they failed.

Hey, I failed my Shodan.

Long drive. Different dojo. Different instructor grading. Paired up with partner from hell. (you know the kind I'm talking about. :roll:)

The result is I have absolutly no desire to test again what-so-ever. I still train regularly. I have placed so much less value on the belt as I've seen the caliber of others that had passed which should not have. (you guessed it the partner from hell passed :-?)

People have been trying to talk me into retesting, I don't think I will bother. I have been treated very differently by all after announcing I will not test. I am on the borderline of Otcast and true Heteric. Am I so unusual ? Do you guys think I should test or stick to my guns and not test? I know I can pass easily I felt I should have passed before. It it really worth the headache?

Marc

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.