• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

karate weight training question..

osuperu

hello...i have started shotokan and i was wondering what all you karatekas do for non martial arts training, as in weight lifting, running, swimming...etc..

i personally have always been more anaerobic than aerobic..i lift weights for mass and strength gains (high weight less reps), but i feel that that wouldnt work for the shotokan style, maybe any karate style?.....

So what do you guys do for non MA training?...if any :) ...

Also...any of you guys (outside of dojo) do a form of heavy bag work (even boxing) to get some experience with hard contact as opposed to air? (dont get me wrong, i like air).. if you do, do you apply your karate style, or just box the crap of it?..

thanks!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have done shotokan for 12 years now and I durring that time I have played high school, and college football and coached high school football. So I have been apart of some weight programs that builds size.

You will hear talk that muscle mass hurts your karate I am here to say that is false.

I would work a bit more on my hamstrings to keep flexability and prevent injury. Things such as leg curls, lunges, etc....

Key to lifting and training is you need to make sure you keep your legs stretched. Espically your hamstrings because thats where most people lose there flexability when the lift heavy.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

hey thanks....i have been focusing a lot on streching lately..and im tonning my work outs done some...mostly because i have that tendency to 'overdoit' when starting a new sport/physical activity

..oh bummer for WV against louisville huh!

I pretty much do enudrance training, I'm not really in it to gear up with a lot of muscles.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Myths About Weight Training For Karate:

Myth 1. Weight training will make the Karate-ka slower

Science has proven that weight training can actually increase speed and power. A properly developed weight program will not sacrifice the speed of the Karate-ka.

Myth 2. Weight training will make your muscles tight and more prone to fatigue

A proper weight training routine will increase muscular endurance, meaning the athlete will be less prone to fatigue. Weight training will not cause unnecessary soreness or muscle tightness. Extreme soreness is a byproduct of over training, lack of rest, and poor nutritional habits (not weight training).

Myth 3. Weight training is only beneficial if done with light weights and high reps

A Karate-ka has little to gain from a weight routine that emphasizes light weights. Training with light weights will lead to minor improvements in aerobic capacity. This form of training will do little to increase explosive power and speed. The Karate-ka must perform medium to heavy lifts with fast, ballistic movements.

Myth 4 Weight training will decrease the flexibility of a Karate-ka, limiting their range of motion

A proper weight training program will actually increase range of motion and provide greater flexibility.

Myth 4· Karate-ka do not have time or a need for weight training

If you cannot find time for strength training, make time for losing. A Karate-ka’s weekly routine should include several ancillary components such as running, plyometrics, heavy bag work, and strength training. No single piece of the puzzle will develop a champion, rather an integrated, complete approach is necessary.

Weight training for a Karate-ka should be performed with weights that are approximately 55-80% of your maximum. For example, if you can bench press 100 pounds for 1 repetition, perform your strength session with weights between 55 and 80 pounds. Repetition ranges should vary depending on your specific goals. Lower reps (3-6) will develop more power, while mid-range reps (6-10) can be utilized when training speed strength. Higher repetitions can also be incorporated with certain full body movements such as dumbbell swings or snatches when the goal is total body conditioning.

When lifting the weights, remember to move the weight in an explosive manner. To maximize speed and power, you must train accordingly. For example, when performing the bench press, push the weight up forcefully. Train fast to be fast.

A Karate-ka’s strength training goals are much different from a bodybuilder. A fighter trains for function, always remaining cognizant of his bodyweight. You must increase strength while remaining within the confines of your weight class. Focus your efforts around major muscle groups that will benefit you in kumite.

Sample Routine

A. Dumbbell Snatches – 3 x 5 reps per arm

B. Bench Press – 3 x 6 reps

C. Plyometric Pushups – 3 x 10

D. Power Cleans – 3 x 5 reps

E. Dumbbell Lunges 3 x 6 per leg

F. Weighted Pull-ups – 4 x 6

8. Dumbbell Swings – 3 x 12 per arm (conditioning emphasis)

Note – Bench press and plyometric pushups are performed together as a complex set. Perform one set of plyometric pushups immediately after completing one set of bench press.

This routine targets the entire body, and ends with a higher rep set of dumbbell swings to serve as an effective finisher. This sample offers just one of many possibilities. Variety is always important when training. You must constantly hit the muscles from different angles, with different exercises, to foster continuous growth and improvement.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

good post..very inciteful about plyo's, but we have to assume that the person lifts weights the right and correct way (ie. no gaining momentum, FULL extension..etc..)..otherwise some of those myths still apply haha

one question Anonymous:

Myths About Weight Training For Karate:

"When lifting the weights, remember to move the weight in an explosive manner. To maximize speed and power, you must train accordingly. For example, when performing the bench press, push the weight up forcefully. Train fast to be fast."

i understand the explosive movements concept (olympic weightlifters), but wouldnt that movement make your muscles learn to slow down right at the end too? like say in movement in the bench press?...and wouldnt that hinder a little of seed and/or power?...jsut a question...

also i take protein and sometimes creatine...now i know creatine BULKS you up with proper routine and diet, but would the speed of the bulking up of muscle mass (and water) cause a lose of either of these a little: flexibily, speed, quickness??

As long as your daily/semi-daily routine continues to include a reasonable stretching component, you should not lose flexibility.

The challenge is not as simple as some say ("Mass reduces speed"), it is that some people fail to maintain flexibility, resulting in muscular tension during the course of your techniques, as the involved areas reach their current limits of motion. This would work against the concept of remaining relaxed until the point of contact, and would slow your techniques down.

For muscle mass to impede range of motion, outside of the muscular tension issue, one would have to be at the extreme end of muscle bulk development.

Continue to stretch as your bulk increases, and it should not be an issue.

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice."

M.A.S.

i would agree in what i've heard that you should continue to stretc to maintain flexibility.

heres my current routine, outside of class.

i do 30 minutes of cardio 6 days a week.

bag work, jogging, jump rope , etc. and lift weights about 4 days a week on nights and saturays. as far as weightlifting, change your workout every 6 weeks or so and it won't become stale. some times for a month i'll go 4 sets of 5 reps, other times, 3 sets of 12, etc.

variety is key. even if you run everyday, you can mix up the variety by sprinting 30 seconds, running steady for a few minutes, then sprint again. i would say no matter what workout you go with, always keep it fresh.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

my sensei is an hour away and we only work out together with about 3 other students on Fridays from 530-830.

kind of stinks not having class 3 days a week like we used to. I work on my own doing drills, kata, and weapons every day though. I also have a buddy in Charlotte and we work out saturdays doing drills and light sparring for a few hours.on days when time is short, i still try to practice karate at least half hour. however last night my wife had to study for a nursing test coming on, so i worked on kicking drills and katas from 9-11 pm. all in all, i try to keep busy. my sensei is only working out with us until August, so i'm trying to work as hard as i can until I can find a school in Charlotte at that time.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."