• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Could you beat a street fighter?

How about this question: Who would win a fight between Superman and the Hulk? :roll:

Anybody can beat anybody else on a given day; just ask Buster Douglas.

Does a "trained" fighter have advantages over someone else of equal stature, nature and athletic ability who has not been trained? Yes. Does someone who has been in numerous "real" fights with threat of genuine bodily harm have advantages over someone who has never been "pushed" in a real-world manner? Sure. (And both of these avenues of experience are effectively "training," anyway. One is just more formal than the other. )

Does either of these scenarios guarantee victory? Absolutely not. But one would be a fool not to take whatever advantages present themselves.

Train hard. Train dilligently. Listen. Learn. Do. Gather whatever experience you can wherever you can find it. Try new things and figure out what works for you.

Repeat.

That is all anybody can do, and it might still not be enough. Good martial arts training not only imparts valuable skills for combat, it teaches you how to avoid situations in which you actually have to fight. It helps pull the odds in your favor, and THAT'S the goal, not to worry about whether you can "take" some imaginary caricature of a "street fighter."

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm agreeing with PBI.

There is no point predicting an outcome of this nature since it will only draw your attention away from what has to be done.

"There are no limitations only plateux, and once you reach them you must not stay there."

--Bruce Lee

Here's a thought...

There are generally known to be three phases of martial ability as you progress through training:

Phase 1: You have no "trained skills" but your lack of knowledge allows you to move naturally and freely without concern for "correct technique". This instinctive way to fight can be very effective.

Phase 2: You are now learning correct technique and strategy and the effort to do things correctly undermines your natural movement and ability to fight. This is a dangerous period when false-confidence and an overestimation of your abilities can cause easy defeats. It should be noted that karate rank progression and tournament success can be your enemy here in that it prevents you from realizing that you are still in this phase.

Phase 3: Now your trained responses and strategies have become instinctive and natural for you and you are once again free to act naturally, but this time correctly. At this point, new experience improves your fighting abilities without hindrance.

An advantage for "street fighters" is that they never move from Phase 1 since they don't try to learn "correct technique". They merely get more and more experienced and gradually improve their skills without seeing them as "new" and therefore unnatural at first. However, their lack of focus on scientifically effective technique leads them to plateau at some point.

I believe that when correct technique becomes natural (Phase 3) that you will have a definate advantage over a street fighter. As martial artists looking to improve our skills, we need to face the facts presented by this progression of skill and practice diligently to make sure that we reach this level as quickly as possible without letting our rank progression and tournament success give us a false-sense of our true abilities.

Here's another thought... If your training is realistic (good partner work, random situations, feedback mechanism that accurately reflects effectiveness, etc.) you will have much more experience that your average street fighter. If you train six days per week and have 10-20 training encounters or realistic sparring matches per session, you will have 60-120 encounters per week. I doubt that many street fighters have even close to this experience.

Finally, the most important ally in this type of situation is positive self-confidence that you will win. You get this confidence gradually through success built on success in the training environment. And if you have the misfortune of being in a real fight (and winning) your confidence will grow even more.

Everyone now owes me $.02!!

https://www.SyracuseJundokan.com

Authentic & Traditional Goju-ryu

WKF Competition Training

Jundokan Honbu: https://www.jundokan.jp

(While you're reading this, your next opponent is sweating in the dojo!)

Good analysis of strengths and weaknesses, SyracuseJundokan!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

I haven't had a lot of martial arts training but I have been in a couple scraps in my life. I've seen a lot more. I've hung out in plenty of beer joints, bars, honky tonks, dance clubs and such. Some in Germany, and plenty throughout the South and Midwest. I've seen quite a few real life fights, I've been in a few, I used to be a bit reckless and wild. I've since grown up.

Anyway, I thought I would share my experiences. Martial arts DOES give you a HUGE advantage, BUT it can also give you a big disadvantage. If you are the type that brags about your abilities then your potential opponents have time to prepare and adapt. If OTOH, you are quiet about your abilities then IF you have to fight then you have the advantage. Your opponent is ambushed by someone who knows what they are doing.

I've seen 120 lb black belts whip up on huge guys but I've also seen big black belts who have been beat down by untrained people who simply knew how to fight and could absorb punishment. I think all in all it comes down to the person. But some training never hurts.

training also helps - also on the flip side ducktapehero - very few proper MAists would brag.... these are generally people who arent confident in their own skills anyway.

in the end, it's all about training and conditioning. strength and conditining take over where knowledge and technique end. many street fighters are well conditioned, and that's their advantage. it is important to have both, as well as mind free of anchors that hold you back.

training also helps - also on the flip side ducktapehero - very few proper MAists would brag.... these are generally people who arent confident in their own skills anyway.
You're exactly right. The vast majority of martial artists that I've known were not the bragging type. There's always a couple though.