Could you beat a street fighter?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

street fighter is what I train to beat, Tank on the street, I would use evey weapon I can find and there are a lot on the street

Good point I do the same.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• 5 weeks later...
Arrogance, temper and aggression will not see an untrained man through a real fight... period.

Isn't there a mental part of training that would teach us not be arrogant, angry, and aggressive? Thus, the presence of these emotions dictates that we are, in fact, untrained. Comments?

I can tell you for a fact that my uncle, comepletely untrained, has beaten a karate black belt in a one-one-one unarmed fight. Not just some guy claiming a black belt, a man who was known for being very good at the art. My uncle grew up a fighter, is a big guy, and is fast for his size. (...edit...) The point is, training isn't everything. There are an infinite number of variables involved in fighting.

You say your uncle was untrained, but then say he grew up fighting. How is that experience not training? So is training only the act of working out in a dojo, or is it the sum of our life experiences? If you take a more universal view of what constitutes training, then training is everything. Everyday - sitting at a desk job, doing homework, running in the woods, practicing kata (or not, since that's not for everybody), working a heavy bag - we are always adding to the sum of our life experiences.

There are a lot of people just making it day-to-day on the street. Everyday, they are training. Just different training.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

One only has to look at the early UFC events to see what a good streetfighter can do. In UFC 3 Royce Gracie was subjected to an absolute BEATING by Kimo. Royce eventually won the fight but was too injured to continue in the event. That was a BJJ Blackbelt who has studied for a lifetime being beaten senseless by a streetfighter like Kimo. Now if that can happen to Royce Gracie, why not to you? Do not underestimate a brawler. The average martial artist gets training in kata/forms. Thugs get their training one way and one way only...By DOING IT! Plain and simple.

You know that eye jab technique that is so precise and works so effectively in class on your none resisting partner? Try that on a 6'2 225 lb thug doing a BLITZKRIEG attack on you. I bet you won't land it so cleanly then. How would you regain the advantage against such an attack? How would you recover from a sucker punch? The answer is you won't. But a thai boxer would be able to. Why? because he has trained and fought for real! He knows how to weather the storm, how to punch accurately and with power against a fully resisting opponent thats trying to knock his block off.

What happens when that same 6'2" 225 lb thug clinches with you and tries to slam you to the ground? Would you be able to break his clinch or turn the tables on him and slam him down? No you won't, but a judoka would. A judoka has done it against a fully resaisting opponent almost since the first day of his training. And what if that same thug does get you on the ground and begins to punch you repeatedly? Would you be able to sweep him off of you or at least control him so that he can't tee off on your head? Would you be able to reverse position and choke him out or dislocate his elbow and shoulder? No you wouldn't, but a BJJ student would. A bjjer does it repeatedly everyday that he is in the gym against a fully resisting partner. Are you starting to see a pattern here?

I'm only going to ask you once...

One only has to look at the early UFC events to see what a good streetfighter can do. In UFC 3 Royce Gracie was subjected to an absolute BEATING by Kimo. Royce eventually won the fight but was too injured to continue in the event. That was a BJJ Blackbelt who has studied for a lifetime being beaten senseless by a streetfighter like Kimo. Now if that can happen to Royce Gracie, why not to you? Do not underestimate a brawler. The average martial artist gets training in kata/forms. Thugs get their training one way and one way only...By DOING IT! Plain and simple.

You know that eye jab technique that is so precise and works so effectively in class on your none resisting partner? Try that on a 6'2 225 lb thug doing a BLITZKRIEG attack on you. I bet you won't land it so cleanly then. How would you regain the advantage against such an attack? How would you recover from a sucker punch? The answer is you won't. But a thai boxer would be able to. Why? because he has trained and fought for real! He knows how to weather the storm, how to punch accurately and with power against a fully resisting opponent thats trying to knock his block off.

What happens when that same 6'2" 225 lb thug clinches with you and tries to slam you to the ground? Would you be able to break his clinch or turn the tables on him and slam him down? No you won't, but a judoka would. A judoka has done it against a fully resaisting opponent almost since the first day of his training. And what if that same thug does get you on the ground and begins to punch you repeatedly? Would you be able to sweep him off of you or at least control him so that he can't tee off on your head? Would you be able to reverse position and choke him out or dislocate his elbow and shoulder? No you wouldn't, but a BJJ student would. A bjjer does it repeatedly everyday that he is in the gym against a fully resisting partner. Are you starting to see a pattern here?

Train the way you train in your dojo, but this time do it on concrete. Let's see how often you take the ground. There's more to real life attacks than what they teach in the dojo.

street fighter is what I train to beat, Tank on the street, I would use evey weapon I can find and there are a lot on the street

Lol.. i totally agree , when i started karate i had the purpose to be able to handle myself on the street , however i don't think like that anymore , my highest aim -for now- is to beat top fighters , if i am to beat top fighters in the ring , then i am able to handle myself in the street , do you think thats right ???

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

Train the way you train in your dojo, but this time do it on concrete. Let's see how often you take the ground. There's more to real life attacks than what they teach in the dojo.

I do and I have. I don't go to the ground unless I have to but I have put guy's on the ground with judo throws. When a guy tries to clinch with me I know what to do because I deal with it everyday in the dojo. If I do happen to get taken down or slammed my judo skills allow me to fall properly to reduce the chance of injury. And I know of all the challenges that the streets present in an unarmed conflict. But what I'm saying is you can train the way most combative sport stylists train AND mix in your self defense and scenario training with weapons and such. People have already adapted bjj techniques that help you to control someone on the ground while keeping them from drawing their knife/weapon and getting to yours. There are favorable positions for the street as opposed to the ring. It's not that hard to mix good self defense skills with realistic training. People just want an excuse not to train atheletically with full force because they want to stay in the martial arts matrix. Instead of taking the red pill and dealing with the REALITY that maybe some of the stuff they learn is outdated and ineffective, they choose to take the blue pill and remain perpetually and purposely IGNORANTabout the martial arts and update the way the train.

You can mix tradition with progressive, it's not that hard. My base art is judo. I love judo, but I know that judo can't prepare me for all that I may face in the streets. But what it can do is prepare me to handle what it was designed for...Prevailing in hand to hand unarmed combat against a resisting opponent. For all the rest (multiple attakers, weapons, etc.) there are other professionals who know more about that then I or Shihan Kano ever did, so I take seminars with them to add to my arsenal. I will never study any art that claims to prepare you for ALL situations because I think my time is better spent learning one good hand to hand art as opposed to spreading me time between weapons, fighting, dancing, or whatever else those kinds of schools do.

I'm only going to ask you once...

I was not making any negative comments towards Judo. I respect Judo because of it's roots and principles. Now let me ask you something. The better the Judoka the less strength he needs to do a throw? Correct? So training athletically is great for endurance I agree. The correct way of learning is a progression to full resistance training. I think too many people put too much stock in physical strength and techniques get lost by people with lots of muscle and poor technique. The only out dated techniques are the one's people haven't the patience to learn or can't understand. There are flaws in every art, but it's up to the individual to choose what art fits them best.

Training against a fulling resisting opponent? So is this person trying to really do you harm? Or are you talking about full contact sparring?