• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Could you beat a street fighter?

I think I could do enough to be able to escape a street fighter.

If it was a barefisted brawl in a controlled setting, I'd even like my chances of beating him in a fight to domination.

Unfortunately, the idea of actually meeting him somewhere else is frightening. It steps out of bounds of what I consider acceptable danger for me to engage. Knives, bats, bottles, etc., really scare me. I've been hit with a bottle and chased with a bat, both are something I don't want to happen again.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not too many variables for me to answer: No. I'd get DESTROYED.
..brutally honest! ;)

Ahh, I'm in the same place. There is no way on earth I would beat a street fighter with an ounce of experience right now. I have little to know fighting experience and know little to no karate (7 months doesn't seem like much). My best bet would be to either find a way out of the situation, or run.

Ask me again in... about 10-15 years or so. :lol: I might give you a different answer :karate:

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

So many questions.. thoughs.. would I defeat a streetfighter? Yes, I would. Why would you think you would get a beating? You don't know, so why would you assume that you would lose?

I believe you always have to be thinking that you are better and you will win.

If you don't believe you can win, you already have lost it.

+ something important. In a RL situation losing is not an option. That is the simple truth. If you lose, you lose maybe everything (life...)

I see what you're saying, but you know what I mean. :)

If I stayed to fight someone with lots of experience fighting, I must realistically look at my chances, and evaluate my options. So, I suppose it would largely depend on the situation. If a loved one were under attack, I would unleash every once of my fury on attacker. However, if someone just jumped me, and there was the option of getting out of there, that's my first choice.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

What I tell my students is that a real fight is:

25% luck -- Seeing and taking advantage of a huge opening in your opponents defense for example.

25% surprise -- I ADAMENTLY am opposed to assuming a fighting stance and a loud KAI!!! at the onset of a street fight, like I see so many sensei teach. To do so forewarns your opponent that you (might) possess fighting/MA skills, and by doing so, you have lost the advantage of surprise.

50% skill -- self-explanitory.

I like this, good post. :)

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

Anyone can be beaten, given the right variables and circumstances.

Do I feel I have a "better than average" survival chance, yes. Do I feel 100% confident, never. Too much random chance, too many unknowns.

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice."

M.A.S.

I have an uncle who would fit that street fighter description . I have learned alot from him and his friends . They given me tips , tricks and pointers for the past twenty years and they are all very valuable . Some I have used or would use if the situation came up and others I just keep an eye out for as a defence against them .

Weather or not I could beat a street figther , I don't know . Comes down to who it is I guess . And how things go down .

We are not so much individual beings as individual points of perception within one immense being.

Yes, within reason. Being small I don't think I would fare to well against a 300 lb gorilla, although I do believe I could outrun him! I've never trained to fight anyone but a street fighter so, I do think that my chances of success would be very good.

Street fighters do a lot of hay-maker punches. That leaves them open when they are winding up. Also, you can evade fairly easily, step behind, and do a take down and drop your knee into their chest.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."