• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you still remember and practice the early kata?

baronbvp

I don't personally care much about belts. I do care about fighting prowess. If kata help improve that, then practicing them is good. I did get a certain sense of satisfaction from correctly executing them. But I never did them long enough to put my own style signature on any of them.

I think along pretty much the same lines. Its been at least 6 months since the last time i performed a kata and since then ive made great advances in my training and knowledge by focusing on what i want to learn, not what a teacher decides i should know.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly!

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Our black belts have to do all of the lower rank forms when they test for 1st dan. It is sometimes tougher on the kids, because they don't spend as much time practicing low rank material. But, they eventually get it.

At the club i used to train at it was a grading requirement to perform all kata that you know. Meaning you build up a large number of techniques to memorise. The problem was that bunkai for the said kata was taught on "special" occasions only and glanced over in comparision to the time spent doing the kata.

Thats what you get from styles that focus on techniques over tactics. Enjoyable for some, not my kind of thing.

This is similar to what I experience as well.

Its also a grading requirement for us that we can be asked any lower rank kata at any time - and also to progress to Black Belt you go through all kata in any order as per the examiners. Also how can you teach lower grades when you arent comfortable with their kata? Thats the be all and end all for me - being able to pass on my (granted somewhat limited) knowledge I have gained whilst studying karate, and obviously kata is a big part of this.

Karate Ni Sentinashi

Also how can you teach lower grades when you arent comfortable with their kata? Thats the be all and end all for me - being able to pass on my (granted somewhat limited) knowledge I have gained whilst studying karate, and obviously kata is a big part of this.

Thats a good point.

I just found my videos of the Shorin-Ryu kata made by the renshi at my old dojo. After all my kata bashing, I have surprised myself by being excited to practice them again. A point several have made is that it is a great way to train alone, with a spiritual breath pushing you along. :karate:

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

I make time for a "kata practice" day usually once a week. I will perform every kata I know one time back to back. It really doesn't take that long(right now it's only about 20 min) and it keeps them fresh enough that I can perform them whenever I need to.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Its also a grading requirement for us that we can be asked any lower rank kata at any time - and also to progress to Black Belt you go through all kata in any order as per the examiners. Also how can you teach lower grades when you arent comfortable with their kata? Thats the be all and end all for me - being able to pass on my (granted somewhat limited) knowledge I have gained whilst studying karate, and obviously kata is a big part of this.

This is why practicing lower rank forms and material is important in our school as well. Higher ranks are expected to be examples for lower ranks, and to be able to help if they ask a question. Black belts are to have the material down, with no excuses.