• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Weight?

June1

I went to the doctor's today and found out how much I really weigh... and I'm still in shock.

My height is about 168 cm and I now weigh 137 pounds, as opposed to a few months ago where I steadily weighed 125 pounds. Does this sound unhealthy? Keep in mind that I've gained this weight after starting my karate training, so it might be muscle (I know that muscle weighs more than fat tissue), which I've developed a lot of. :D

Is this okay? I'm just a little freaked because I've never gained this kind of weight so rapidly. 12 pounds in about 5 and 1/2 months... :o

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Nahh... I wouldn't worry about it too much.. I did the exact same thing :P I usually never pick up too much weight without height, but I picked up around 10-15 lbs since I started karate too, same situation: more muscle equals more weight.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

One good indication is how your clothes are fitting. If they aren't any more snug in the waist or hip, then you probably haven't gained much fat, and a lot of it could be muscle.

Also, your weight can fluctuate by as much as a few pounds depending on how hydrated you are that day.

And even further, I know when I go to the doctor, they just have me take my shoes off before weighing me. Depending on what I'm wearing, and how long its been since I ate, etc, that can cause some fluctuation as well. The doctor ususally isn't concerned about a few lbs one way or the other.

Again, pay attention to how your clothes are fitting. You also might want to consider getting a scale for home. That way you can weight yourself in a more controlled situation and have a better way of comparing your weights. (The scale might not be exactly accurate, but as long as its consistent, you can spot trends up or down)

*whew* Thanks for the comments, everyone! I feel much more at ease with my new weight! :) At least I gained it thanks to karate.

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

How are your clothes fitting? Thats always a good test

You can put on weight, because of muscle development, but actually fit your clothes better and look better and more toned.

Dont worry about your weight, just keep training like crazy and the weight will take care of itself.

However for maximum performance you should be at your correct weight. Next time you go to a doctor, ask him/her what your correct weight should be.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Good idea! Thank you! :D

By the way, for all those who asked, my clothes are fitting pretty well! :)

"Know Thyself"