• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Weighing Your Kata Down

June1

Ever try practicing a kata (slowly!) while holding dumbells (small ones, not the 50-pound ones :P)?

If so, what do you think about it? Did it help with technique or strengthening at all?

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious... doesn't sound like a bad idea :idea: Sounds like it would strengthen technique (if performed correctly)

kinda like a weighted donut for a bat (in baseball)

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

I find it challenging but great for your muscles.

TIP: If performing shutos, don't open your hands; just pretend. :P

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

TIP: If performing shutos, don't open your hands; just pretend. :P

:lol: no kidding.. sounds like a good way to bash your toes with falling weights...

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

Yes, we train in kata by wearing weights, in extra slow and very low movements/stances. Then we'll do it again and add a kick to each technique...it can be very challenging.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Yep

I have even practised a Kata non stop, slowly for 8 hours at a time. No as easy as I thought Haha

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

I also have tried it out. It's a prefect workout for your muscles and your technique becomes stronger by it.

"Practising karate means a lifetime of hard work."

~Gichin Funakoshi

Never practiced a kata that way... but I've practiced Tai chi chuan form with weighted bracelets on the wrist and ankles.

I regularly perform my katas at a very slow tempo. One of my old senseis used to say that if you can perform your katas and techniques slow it will perfect your fast movements. I think that he had a valid point.

This is something that has always been a part of my training. I HATE the gym/fitness centre. I simply don't have the patience. However, working with weights during Kata simply gives the best of both worlds. The muscle groups involved in striking become stronger and my Kata improves (since performing them without weights feels like a walk in the park).

Sure, it's not neccessary if your only goal is to improve upon your Kata. For me, it's just an alternative to boring myself to death in the Gym. :D

-V-

More than 200 pictures of Kyokushin technique.

Kata outlined step by step.

https://www.kyokushinbudokai.org (Homepage)

Diary of a Full Contact Martial Artist (Diary)